« July 19, 2008 | Main | July 21, 2008 »

July 20, 2008

Holy Grail of rock 'n roll found — Jimi Hendrix's first burnt guitar

The back story is on the video above.

Long back story short: Hendrix set his 1965 Fender Stratocaster ablaze during a 1967 concert at the Finsbury Astoria in London. It was discovered last year stored in the home of a friend, former press agent Tony Garland.

Hendrix squirted lighter fluid on his ax before torching it.

The charred guitar is expected to bring at least $1 million when it goes on the block as part of a rock memorabilia auction conducted by the Fame Bureau at the Idea Generation Gallery in London on September 4, 2008.

[via Julie Bloom's "Arts, Briefly" column in the July 18, 2008 New York Times.

July 20, 2008 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Midnight Run Fridge Magnet

Jjijiju

Designed by Egor Zhgun.

Made in Russia.

4.3" x 2".

July 20, 2008 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Harley-Davidson Museum — File under 'Things to do in Milwaukee besides visit joe's birthplace'

Jjhj

It was called Mt. Sinai Hospital back then but I have no idea what it's called now, or if it's even still standing, I think on 12th Street near State.

But I digress.

The Harley-Davidson Museum opened its doors last Sunday, July 12 in the city of the bike's birthplace.

Andrew Blum, in his rave review in the August 2008 issue of Wired magazine, wrote, "... Pentagram, the chief design firm on the project, turned 20 acres of industrial land into hog heaven: The three buildings containing galleries, archives, and the obligatory store are arranged around an intersection of 60-foot-wide roads, broad enough for four rows of parking and two traffic lanes, just like at Sturgis — creating an ever-changing exhibit of visitors' bikes."

Bonus: On display is the original outlaw — Serial Number One (top).

Can't make it in person?

Take the virtual tour.

July 20, 2008 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World's Scariest Gadget

Iuj

Motion-Activated Recording Speaker

Motion-activated gadget can be placed out of sight to startle, prank and scare your friends with your own recorded noises and phrases.

Also great for more practical uses.

Versatile unit features 10-second sound recorder, built-in microphone and speaker, motion sensor, line-out jack and swivel mounting bracket.

Requires 4 AA batteries (not included).

5" x 3.5" x 1.5".

July 20, 2008 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: How to unbox your gizmos

I99ji

Straight from page 115 of the August 2008 issue of Wired magazine, just arrived yesterday, comes this useful blood-conserving tip.

FunFact: "The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that there were some 6,500 emergency room visits related to plastic packaging in 2004."

You could look it up.

But I digress.

Unbox Your Gizmos

What's every gadget fiend's deadliest foe? The blister packaging that encases new purchases. Chopping through the stuff with scissors or a steak knife is arduous and produces dangerous jagged edges. And while soldering scars are a mark of geek pride, wounds inflicted by a clear plastic clamshell aren't. Some Circuit City junkies invest in box cutters or tin snips. But you can also make short work of blister packaging with a standard household can opener — either the old-school butterfly style or the rotary type with the thicker handles. Just clamp down on the edge and start cranking.

....................

For once, instead of just believing what I read I actually got down off my high treadmill and went and tried out the idea.

Sure enough, my supermarket Swing-A-Way opened up a blister back in no time flat, nice and easy.

My fancypants Rösle that crimps down the sharp edges of cans couldn't hack opening a blister pack: no purchase for the much smaller, more precise and recessed gears.

The Wired pearl has no author but is one of many in a special feature called "How To Boost Your Geek Cred."

But no good thing should go uncredited so this morning I told my crack research team, still recovering from last night's events (no, trust me, you really don't want to know...) that I wanted a name — and I wanted it now.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit if the team didn't come back with just one name but a whole slew of them, to wit: Erin Biba, Andrew Blum, Troy Brownfield, Patrick di Justo, David Downs, Daniel Dumas, David Goldenberg, Lucas Graves, David S. Hirschman, Mathew Honan, Brendan I. Koerner, Steven Leckart, Nicole Lee, Adam Pash, Adam Rogers, Adrienne So, Rachel Swaby, Jason Tanz and Will Tuttle, all listed (one assumes alphabetically) on the final page of the piece as "Contributors."

Jijjjj

Thanks, crüe.

July 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Spill Coaster — 'Use your illusion'

Yhuyuyyh

Res ipsa loquitur.

Ffgfgf

Set of 2.

Rujruj_2

€13.

July 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

British Army Challenger 2 Tank v Range Rover Sport: 'Top Gear' Throwdown

That's one impressive off-road car.

And tank.

July 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Star Trek Theme Song Watch

Ghtgyhjyt

This'll beam you up in a Vulcan minute.

Star Trek Watch

Be the envy of fellow "Trekkies" when you wear this one-of-a-kind Star Trek Musical Watch — it plays the original Star Trek theme song at the touch of a button.

It was popular years ago and we were able to secure some of the last remaining stock.

Marvel as the U.S.S. Enterprise second hand orbits around the dial.

Superior Japanese quartz movement and matching band in collectible gift tin.

Officially licensed with numbered Certificate of Authenticity.

Limited quantities.