« Floating Gazebo | Home | Social Oyster — The only place in the world you can obtain an Oysterpass »

July 30, 2008

File under 'Stuff I don't understand'

Jjij

Look at the photo above.

What do you see?

It's a new Nokia OEM (original equipment manufacturer) Model ACP-12U charger for my antediluvian Nokia 6230 candy bar cellphone, which amazingly still works just fine years after I bought it and subsequently subjected it to all the indignities cellphones suffer, i.e., dropping it, getting it all sweaty, leaving it in hot car trunks, etc.

Anyway.

Up until a couple weeks ago I had two of these chargers, then a week ago I had one and yesterday suddenly I had none.

Where did they go?

Who knows?

But just as I don't persist in looking for my cuff syringe after an initial survey of the post-intubation chaos around the head of the bed, instead simply getting out another so as to get on with my charting and the case, so with my chargers: a couple deep searches of my home turned up nada and so it was off to Amazon.

Well.

I found the charger I needed quickly enough — but the price!

How the heck can it only cost $1.35 when I paid something like $20 at an AT&T store a year ago for my (now absent) second one?

And a generic version cost that at a Pittsburgh International Airport shop when I looked this past Monday.

I have no idea what's with the crazily low price on Amazon — but I bought three on the spot.

July 30, 2008 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference File under 'Stuff I don't understand':

Comments

That nokia model was the best phone I ever had before I struck platinum with the iphone. I still have the charger somewhere. Why didn't you just give the word? Would have mailed it to you at no cost and you could have saved yourself the 'ectoplasmic imp temptation'. Never you mind though. I'll keep it on hand for when you lose the one you just bought.

Posted by: Milena | Jul 31, 2008 12:52:01 AM

Joe- that phone is awesome!! I miss those Nokias...

Posted by: tnspr569 | Jul 30, 2008 7:31:21 PM

Here's hoping your chargers work out for you.

However: Never, EVER tempt the price imps with that kind of declaration. Not written, not spoken. Not even thought, actually. They know! Don't you know, it tilts the ectoplasmic imp-ether and things careen out of control with breathtaking velocity? Down the road they always extract astronomical emoluments for such offhand -- nay, cavalier -- pronouncements.

You might get away with it this time. I'll put in a word for you. They owe me.

Posted by: Flautist | Jul 30, 2008 6:03:18 PM

You may have bought three on the spot but this years model may take a different kind of model.
By the way inside all those phones is a little spot that turns color when it gets wet and voids any warranty. So put a piece of tape over it incase you drop it in the sinkof lake during the warranty period. It is the first thing they look at when a phone is not working. WHITE spot turned red = water

Posted by: wistrade | Jul 30, 2008 5:33:12 PM