« Periodic Rings | Home | Pen and Pencil Holders »

5. With all due respect

6. Absolutely

7. It’s a nightmare

8. Shouldn’t of

9. 24/7

10. It’s not rocket science

The list appears in Jeremy Butterfield's new book, "Damp Squid: The English Language Laid Bare," a review of which is here.

For those who can't wait for its December 13, 2008 U.S. publication date, Amazon UK will post it instanter per your instruction.

[via Neatorama]

November 8, 2008 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 10 Most Irritating Phrases in the English Language:

Comments

thanks DefinitelyCreativeEnough!
it just seemed natural :):)
love ya joe

Posted by: Udi | Nov 10, 2008 12:06:49 PM

DefinitelyCreativeEnough: None taken. ;-)

Posted by: Milena | Nov 9, 2008 9:52:23 AM

It is what it is.

Drives me insane. If, in fact, it is what it is, then why not just state what it is and leave it at that.

Posted by: B! | Nov 9, 2008 9:13:24 AM

The misuse of the word "myself" drives me nuts! "Bob and myself are going to the zoo". What about Bob and I? "On behalf of Bob and myself..." We have a very nice pronoun in this case- me.

Posted by: Elise | Nov 9, 2008 12:39:44 AM

No offense intended Milena, didn't check the link to the name as I was laughing too hard!

Posted by: DefinatelyCreativeEnough | Nov 8, 2008 8:28:46 PM

DefinitelyCreativeEnough: Last time I looked I was a girl so most definitely it should be DUDETTE.
Udi: That was very good. Very very good.

Posted by: Milena | Nov 8, 2008 7:36:38 PM

Okie, my head officially hurts now, Chalk, dude. LOL Udi :)

Posted by: DefinatelyCreativeEnough | Nov 8, 2008 7:06:40 PM

11. But I digress

Posted by: Udi | Nov 8, 2008 6:07:29 PM

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT Joe I PERSONALLY feel that many of these phrases, depending on the context in which they are employed, can be FAIRLY UNIQUE even though I ABSOLUTELY agree that they are not the linguistic equivalent of ROCKET SCIENCE. AT THE END OF THE DAY, what has of course garnered them this unfair, 'IT'S A NIGHTMARE to just hear them be uttered' kind of reputation, is their constant 24/7 use by those who SHOULDN'T OF course even be stringing them together because they simply have no idea how to go about it. AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME therefore, I make a vociferous and sympathetic stand on their misinterpreted and overused behalves. Hate them not but hate THE HOW of when you choose to use them!

Posted by: Chalk on the blackboard | Nov 8, 2008 3:49:26 PM