« November 12, 2008 | Main | November 14, 2008 »

November 13, 2008

This is your Lamborghini on LSD

Smamborghini

Actually, it's a Smart Car mashup courtesy of Adobe.

As are the Targa,

Ferrari

Smerrari

and Corvette.

Smorvette

I won't tell if you don't.

"My [other] car is a

Smorsche

Porsche."

As if.

[via Milena]

November 13, 2008 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Credit crunch? Eat it!

Kjhkhouhyuh

"Selfridges has added a 'credit crunch' candy line," reads the caption below the photo above, which appears on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal, accompanying an article by Cecilie Rohwedder about tight times in the U.K.

"The store has sold 5,000 of the £3.99 ($6) bags, which contain chunks of crunchy toffee covered in chocolate and are now among the three best-selling products at its confectionary department," she wrote.

Get yours in the Food Hall at the Oxford Street (London) store.

November 13, 2008 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Henry Alford on Reverse Etiquette

Easily the best thing I've read this week, his Op-Ed piece from this past Monday's New York Times follows.

For enhanced delight, play the video above while you read it.

All Apologies

I sometimes find strangers’ manners so lacking that I have started engaging in an odd kind of activism. I call it reverse etiquette: I supply the apology that they should be giving me.

When the ebullient young woman behind the cash register at the grocery store dropped my apple on the ground, she smiled nervously, picked it up and put it in my bag, but said nothing. So I offered, in a neutral tone of voice, “Oh, I’m sorry.” This did not elicit the remorse I hoped it would — she simply grimace-smiled and said, “That’s O.K.” So I added, “Sorry about that — I really didn’t mean for you to drop that.” At which she stared off into the mid-distance as if receiving instructions from outer space.

A few weeks later, the skinny, 20-something gentleman manning the cash register at the pizzeria told me, “I can’t break a 20.” So I asked, “Would you mind terribly if I went next door and got change?” He said, “That’s fine.” When I returned, no thanks or apology forthcoming from him, I said in a flat, non-sarcastic voice, “So sorry — I hope I didn’t keep you waiting?” Confused, he shook his head no. “I forget stuff sometimes,” I said — a cue that went unmet.

How did I get here? I’d feel like a marm or a scold if I told a stranger that he has bad manners; so instead I wage a campaign of subtle remonstrance. That this subtle remonstrance was, in its initial forays at least, mostly lost on my interlocutors did not faze me: being able to sublimate my irritation was its own reward.

But I like to think that in some instances my behavior, by causing others to wonder what I’m going on about, may help to carry out etiquette’s mandate: to promote empathy. It’s my distinct hope that the person who is apologized to when she drops my apple is a person who will have an epiphany the next time someone drops her apple.

And yet, placated though I am by the realization that I am providing others with gentle, time-released lessons, sometimes the angry little man inside me wants more. Much more. To wit, an apology.

So I have become more explicit in my acts of reverse etiquette. The other day I apologized to a tall, bearded man who slammed his duffel into me at Sixth Avenue and Eighth Street. Then I told him, “I’m saying what you should be saying.” He responded, in toto, “Oh, right.”

Though this response could not be described as “blanket-like,” it nevertheless gave me enough ground to see that I was on the right track. I realized that I just need to be even more explicit with people. So the other day, when a stroller-pushing mother semi-vigorously bumped into me at Sixth Avenue and Eighth Street — this corner is apparently the Bermuda Triangle of manners — I expressed remorse, and added, “No one says I’m sorry anymore, so I do it for them.”

“O.K..”

“My idea is that if I say I’m sorry, then at least the words have been released into the universe.”

She stared at me with equal parts irritation and faint horror, as if I had just asked her to attend a three-hour lecture on the history of the leotard.

I continued: “The apology gets said, even if it’s not by the right person. It makes me feel better. And maybe you’ll know what to say next time.”

“Wow,” she said. (The tickets for the leotard lecture were $200, or $500 at the door.)

And then, finally, came the words I have longed these many months to hear: “I’ll think about it.”

....................

I can't speak for you but me, I kinda like this audio/video/written word mashup.

Look for more of this sort of thing in the future.

November 13, 2008 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack

What is it?

Gjyfg

Answer here this time tomorrow.

[via Milena, who's disqualified from guessing since she submitted it. That seems fair, doesn't it? I mean, I could be wrong....]

November 13, 2008 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: A new use for an onion

Tyturrf

Reader Jerrich commented on Monday's "Rain-X" post as follows:

Comment:

I live in atlantic canada and use this stuff often. It does work. Too often the water just beads up on the window till it gains enough weight to roll off, and while driving it makes for some strange depth of perception effects. BTW, you get the same result using a large onion sliced in half and the raw side rubbed over the car window. Works in a crunch.

November 13, 2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Teething Bling — Jewelry you (but preferably your baby) can chew on

1rtrew

Long story short: It's a latex-free silicone bracelet that doubles as a teething ring.

Clever.

3chgfhf

Vanessa M. Gezari's article in the November 9, 2008 Washington Post magazine had the back story on how necessity became the mother of invention for stay-at-home mothers Kendra LaDuca and Amy Maurer Creel.

2dfdgfd

In 16 different colors: $10.20.

November 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

MorphWorld: Ross Lovegrove's Swarovski Solar Concept Car into Zaha Hadid's Aqua Table

Tru6trf

The 2006 vehicle of the future (above) remains just that; you can buy Hadid's table (below)

if you've got the wherewithal.

November 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

The best thing Vuitton's ever done

Oihoholihn