« Flair Hair — You've got the look | Home | Mutant Car Windshield Mount »

November 28, 2008

Current TV Commercials: Ups and Downs

Ups:

1. Subway "5 Dollah Foot Long" (above and below) — catchy song I can't help but keep singing to myself.

2. Fathead with Reggie Bush, where he's annoyed with the wanna-be who tries to touch him and become friends. His scowls and "get away from me!" body language: priceless.

3. iPod Nano — irresistible sound and graphics. Who wouldn't want one?

Downs:

1. Samsung "We're all about tradition here," with some relic acting all pleased with herself for allowing her mired-in-the-past family to add a new flatscreen TV to their decor. Puh-leeze.

2. Bud Light "Drinkability" with all the people but the one gabbing suddenly frozen, doing whatever they were doing, then being forced to do stuff like drink a bottle of hot sauce to show how "they're all the same" isn't true. Just stupid.

3. FedEx vibrating chairs — there's something off-putting about everyone jiggling and congratulating themselves on how smart they are using FedEx and saving enough money to buy their tricked-out seats.

4. UPS whiteboard — the guy with the unctuous voice and manner, retro hair and Loro Piana sweater is so not what UPS is about.

Black Friday bonus — en español!

November 28, 2008 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Current TV Commercials: Ups and Downs:

Comments

An aside to the UPS whiteboards spots, the guy is the Art Director who pitched the idea and they decided to use him. I have noticed they are trying to give it legs by animating his pictures.

Posted by: Nick | Nov 30, 2008 8:58:55 AM

As you said , unforgetable tune

Posted by: O | Nov 29, 2008 5:55:37 PM

The ones that I hate are the most confusing to me. They make the customer look like a fool.

Not that I take this personally, but..... the fool is usually the adult male.

Like the guy that finally builds the treehouse for the kids but they don't want to get out of the van because the treehouse doesn't have a dvd player. Right, Like I'm going to buy one of those vans so my kids can insult me more than they usually do!

Posted by: Ray | Nov 29, 2008 11:54:27 AM

I absolutely adore good commercials. They can be mini masterpieces when all the important elements (story, music and ability to help you remember the product) are in sync. I liked the subway commercials very much. In particular the Spanish version one. The song sounds even catchier in my language.

This link to this website http://www.boardsmag.com will show you lots of great ones that get play in Europe.

Posted by: Milena | Nov 28, 2008 6:01:11 PM

Subway’s Five –Dollar IS a classic “stuck in your mind” tune, and it is one of the best today! The Mexican one was a hoot, even better then the American one. Years ago there was a Beech Nut gum commercial that started out; Yipes, Stripes, Beech Nut Gum…. I remember it to this day!

Posted by: Joe Peach | Nov 28, 2008 5:20:39 PM