« How much extra would you pay for a customer service agent who speaks 'American?' | Home | Radioactive Uranium Marbles »

December 11, 2008

'Own it on DVD'

Photo

Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Why the heck would I want to own anything on DVD — I just want to watch the movie, for crying out loud.

I've been baffled ever since this supposed good thing, DVD ownership, has become a wonderful experience to be sought.

CDs are one thing, what with listening to great albums over and over again, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of movies I've ever seen more than once.

Just plain dumb.

Speaking of which, books are the same deal to me: read 'em and give 'em away.

Who needs a library?

You want to read one again, do the circling-the-drain publishing industry a favor and buy another copy.

December 11, 2008 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'Own it on DVD':

Comments

I 182% fully agree with this!!! I just don't GET it - why do people collect movies?? My mom has cupboards full and I'm certain they are like the Hotel California---the movies check in but never check out. It's such a waste.

Posted by: Kaylen | Dec 13, 2008 3:23:59 AM

I would, also, contend that those that own Dvds have children. My sons can watch the same Scooby Doo dvd over and over laughing at each joke for what seems like the first time.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 12, 2008 10:34:40 AM

Ditto on wanting to cherish something. Of the few DVDs to books I have bought they are seasonal or sentimental favorites I enjoy watching/read over at only $5-$20 from a used bin, Amazon or on Ebay. The books I have I let friends 'BORROW' after I've read them but I keep them for reference and refreshing. If anything I sell completely finished books to the used bookstore or recycle than kill another tree to keep the printing publishing business going. I have been tempted to do the message in a bottle type fad and leave a book out somewhere in public with my name/email, website or address and ask anyone who reads the book after finding it to leave a message or and continue to set the book out in public for others to read. There are booklending clubs to become your own private librarian.

*http://www.bookcrossing.com/
*http://www.bukubooks.com/

Posted by: guest | Dec 12, 2008 12:51:57 AM

I'll third that. I don't have the be-all end-all of libraries of either books or DVDs, but there are many DVDs and books (plus music CDs) that I like having at my fingertips, to watch and read (or not, in part or whole) when I want to. I have seen many movies more than once, and the experience with the best is richer every time. The same goes for certain books. I get that not everybody agrees with this, but calling it "dumb" seems to miss the mark.

Posted by: Randee | Dec 12, 2008 12:31:17 AM

I basically agree with orphan. Well said.

I know a few people with no desire to re-watch & re-read, and in each case they're a lot smarter (common sense-wise and plain old IQ-wise) than I am, and I think they're better able to incorporate whatever information they want to keep from a film or a book so there's no need for going back and re-experiencing. Stuff just doesn't stay in my head that easily, and apparently I never finished with the little kid's desire to see/read things over and over again -- often immediately.

One thing I CAN remember is being four years old and begging my father to purchase a fifty-page (!) Mickey Mouse comic book mystery-adventure about an entity called "The Blot", and then begging him to read it to me, and then having a tantrum because he wouldn't read it again, right then. He pretty much taught me how to read after that, and as soon as I could I read that thing every night for a couple of years. Maybe it traces back to some sort of attachment-bonding thing, I don't know, but I still "need" to do that. Anyhow, most of the books I own are art books, and I ain't giving my picture books away to no liberry or anybody else. I so dumb.

Posted by: Flautist | Dec 11, 2008 8:08:47 PM

For real? I have several movies that I love to watch every now and then. One is Napolean Dynamite, another is They Might Be Giants (the 1971 movie that the band got their name from.) They are like old friends. It is like a book that you love and like to re-read every now and then, of course you want to own that book. There are a number of reasons to keep dvds (and books)- they make you think of higher things, or they give you a thrill, or they take you from despair to hope to resolution, all kinds of reasons. It's fun to take the journey again sometimes, even though you know what will happen.

Posted by: Lilorfnannie | Dec 11, 2008 4:42:38 PM