« County Armagh Double Footwarmer — 'Kiss your feet, they look Scottish' | Home | Philips Cinema 21:9 aspect ratio 56" LCD TV »

January 23, 2009

BehindTheMedspeak: Sitting Disease

2dgfhjk

Long story short: It's pandemic in the Western world, the result of deskbound activities.

My friend Dr. James Levine of the Mayo Clinic — whose take on movement, namely that many small ones add up in a big way if continued over time, much the way compound interest works its magic — transformed my life once I hopped aboard his cluetrain a few years ago, was featured in a Q&A with Nanci Hellmich in yesterday's USA Today about his research.

You could do a lot worse with your time than read the interview.

Then buy his new book (top).

He doesn't need the money, booboo — it's you who needs the book.

What do I mean by he "transformed my life?"

Well, without him I don't see myself in the New York Times, as happened on September 16, 2008 (below),

Rtey7uiop[

in this lifetime.

January 23, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak: Sitting Disease:

Comments

Oh, my, (swoon) Dr. Stirt! You are the messy, dusty, cluttered, don't-give-a-crap-how-things-look man of my dreams. Please, dismiss the complainers that want to change you. You are damn near perfect in my eyes. xoxo

Posted by: lt | Jan 24, 2009 8:12:00 AM

Actually, based on the photo you've got up here in the blog I'd thought you were in your late 20s or early 30s.

Maybe it's the treadmill. Anyway, I'm inspired!

Posted by: Randee | Jan 23, 2009 11:25:49 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go the Bev and Clifyt route. I want to fix up that leaning tower of pisa you got there. And I'm thinking that there is bound to be some major dusting to be done. I want to unclutterfy that set up. Ikea has some great stuff you could set up in lieu of the boxes. Make it all look a bit more streamlined and less likely to fall upon you. What do you say Joe?

Posted by: Feng shui Miles | Jan 23, 2009 8:29:52 PM

Couldn't agree more with clifyt. It's hard to tell exactly what all is going on there from just looking at the picture, but I was having this crazy idea of, maybe, what if you suspended things -- like a bar (beam(s)?) running across the ceiling in just the right place(s), secured strongly enough to support the weight of the supporting shelving and everything that sits on it (them), which would be secured to this hypothetical bar/beam thingy. I'm thinking of something very streamlined -- not clunky -- that can be, with the electronics removed, folded up to the ceiling to get it out of the way whenever necessary or desired. (It could be white & when folded would be highly unnoticeable against a white ceiling, even.) You'd get rid of all that, uh, unsightly pile of supporting stuff on the floor; it would be easier to clean behind, no clutter, a much cleaner look, etc. Of course a major drawback is that if you wanted to move the location of all your stuff, you'd be shit out of luck.

Oh well, never mind. It looks and works really good in my mind, though. I wish somebody could see it.

Posted by: Flautist | Jan 23, 2009 6:50:33 PM

Seriously Joe...are we gonna have to grab some wood screws and craftsman tool and set something up that is worthy of your living room?

Looks like your lil' tv is just barely perched up on top of several nonstable surfaces!

Posted by: clifyt | Jan 23, 2009 4:51:44 PM

Hi Joe- Whattabout a link to said book, hmmmmmm?? 60?? I'da thought you was 40, tops!

Posted by: B | Jan 23, 2009 3:17:41 PM