« Ooob Doorstop | Home | Temperature-Sensitive Glass Tiles »

February 12, 2009

Notes on [sic]

1fghjk

Observe the headline (pictured just above) of yesterday's 11:01 a.m. post on the Drink Selector Mug.

Note the quotation marks.

What do quotation marks mean to you?

To me, they mean something originating somewhere other than in my peabrain was cited exactly as it appeared.

And so the headline was.

Exhibit 2: Note the first sentence of the above-cited post (below):

2fgghf
What does it mean to you?

Perhaps you should take a time out to read Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead."

Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?

Perhaps you should take the rest of the day off to read "Hamlet".

But I digress.

Exhibit 3: Note the second sentence (below)

3ytyutgu

of the post in play.

Note that in the original post the "look it up" link takes you right to the original text (below)

4bfdjhb

cited in my post's headline.

But I digress yet again.

So you see, perhaps, why I felt a twinge of annoyance when not one, not two or three, but four readers (below)

5tyxfwfd

found it amusing to correct my use of the word "barrister."

But, see, it was in a quotation.

I used it as such because I found someone else's use of it amusing.

The joke's not on me, much as you'd like to think so.

Perhaps in the future I need to interrupt the flow of things with [sic].

You know what that means, don't you?

February 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Notes on [sic]:

Comments

Ya'll are weak...seriously.

Even making wisecracks about Joe's lack of spelling or continence is just picking low hanging fruit.

The man is like 97, he is lucky to still remember how to breath, let alone spel.

Posted by: clifyt | Feb 13, 2009 7:36:31 AM

I wasn't correcting you, I was making a wisecrack. There's a difference ;-))

Posted by: Charlotte K | Feb 13, 2009 7:04:40 AM

Donut warry Joe. Meny ov ush wood nevar thinc ov korrecting yur speling arrors.

Posted by: Rocketboy | Feb 12, 2009 6:01:54 PM

I was actually paying attention when I read that post -- I saw the quotation marks and read the "don't blame me, I'm only the messenger".
So I do feel your annoyance.

Unless...
Well, it occurred to me that there could possibly be some new, hip usage of "barrister" in place of "barista" since, perhaps, maybe a significant number of people, confusing meanings/spellings, actually SAY "barrister" unawares, meaning "barista" -- the girl making & serving the espresso -- and those on the cutting edge of cool appropriated that malapropism as their "in joke" originally, and now it's leaking out mainstream, but not enough yet for the less-hip to grasp the ironic humor...

Did you get all that, Pierre?

What the hell, I don't know.

Posted by: Flautist | Feb 12, 2009 1:56:50 PM

I thought the common practice is for the blog author to write their own post titles. If you were including the "barrister" out of irony, it would have been more clear if you had noted that in some fashion. The way you put it, it made it sound like you wrote it that way on purpose, and you didn't know the definitions of "barrister" vs. "barista." So that's why you got the snarky comments. But, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings and I do say that sincerely :-)

Posted by: Lilorfnannie | Feb 12, 2009 1:06:10 PM

We had a phrase for this growing up and that was "being filthy technical". Some people just like correcting others. Hope I used the quotes right.
Here's another quote, this one from Chuck Norris "When I want your opinion, I will beat it out of you."
'Nuff said.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 12, 2009 11:37:08 AM

Shoot, I didn't even notice. Do I win the clueless award?

Posted by: Mary Sue | Feb 12, 2009 11:19:02 AM