« March 29, 2009 | Main | March 31, 2009 »

March 30, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button — by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1921)

Curious_case_of_benjamin_button_movie_poster6

Most people have no idea the movie starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett is based on a short story by Fitzgerald.

I sure didn't until I saw the fact mentioned in passing somewhere.

Anyhow, I bought the bound story from Amazon ($5.95) and read it with much enjoyment (I'm waiting for the movie on Blu-ray).

I put "benjamin button fitzgerald story" into Google and lo and behold, the very first result of 723,000 is a link to the story in its entirety, free for the reading and/or printing out.

Why pay more?

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Author's Preface

This story was inspired by a remark of Mark Twain's to the effect that it was a pity that the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end. By trying the experiment upon only one man in a perfectly normal world I have scarely given his idea a fair trial. Several weeks after completing it, I discovered an almost identical plot in Samuel Butler's "Note-books."

The story was published in Collier's last summer and provoked this startling letter from an anonymous admirer in Cincinnati:

Sir,

I have read the short story Benjamin Button in Colliers and I wish to say that as a short story writer you would make a good lunatic I have seen many peices [sic] of cheese in my life but of all the peices of cheese I have ever seen you are the biggest peice. I hate to waste a peice of stationary on you but I will.

March 30, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

When Snow White met Steve Jobs

1ffgfdghjhdgxsf

Just because your laptop's Apple's cheapest doesn't mean it can't be the coolest.

2trutyr

[via LübeckerJung, noquedanblogs, Gizmodo and Doobybrain]

March 30, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (33) | TrackBack

Surrealist Compliment Generator — From the folks who brought you 'I can has cheezburger' and 'All your base are belong to us'

Salvador_dali-galatea_of_the_spheres

"Reload this page  to receive another omnivorous compliment."

[via Milena]

March 30, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

If Hansel and Gretel had bicycles, they would've used this...

Jytuytyut

"Small apparatus attaches to any bike's seat tube and applies a thin layer of chalk powder to the rear tire."

4drytq4

Created by Brooklyn-based Studio Gelardi, it was a finalist in last year's Design21 "Power to the Pedal" competition.

Cortail-illustration-2

"Ariadne" would be a great name for the device, what?

[via MAKE ,Cool HuntingDoobybrain and Milena]

March 30, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

The rise of Facebook

1srhj

Brad Stone's front page story in yesterday's New York Times Business section contains so much of interest, I won't even try to pull excerpts.

2fgjk

For starters try the graphics above and below, which accompanied the story.

3sgfdhjh

They show the year-by-year expansion of the site from its beginning just over five years ago to today's membership

4tryjkh

of two hundred million people worldwide —

5iuyiy

with the site having doubled its membership in the past eight months, up from one hundred million last August.

March 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Spooky Tumblers

Sadftfdty

Dishwasher-safe glass 3-¼" short tumblers hold 8 oz.;
5-¼" tall tumblers hold 12 oz.

3rtytegjhjhg

Sets of four: Short: $17.95; Tall: $19.95.

[via 7 Gadgets]

March 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Eerie and striking

I happened on a Symbicort commercial, a successor to the one above, yesterday just before the Oklahoma v North Carolina regional final.

I watched as usual MOS (mit out sound) and found it (the commercial) extremely eye-friendly.

Unlike the one up top, the one I saw had the woman completely blacked-out, sans highlights — much more powerful.

I wonder why I like this but hate those full-color insurance company commercials using actors as cartoon-like, clearly human characters.

March 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Drink Can Decontaminator

1dhhdf

Got bacteria?

2fghh

A concept designed by Leon Peng, this device blasts the surface of a 12 oz. can with UV light to render it sterile.

[via Cliff Hatch and Yanko Design]