« April 27, 2009 | Main | April 29, 2009 »

April 28, 2009

Sure, bookofjoe is a big tent... but this is ridiculous!

Vvvvvv

Just in, the news that a German site not usually associated with things boj is now a fan, linking to this past Sunday's Dust Bunny post and putting a whole different, shall we say, slant on it (dare I say "top?").

6a00d8341c5dea53ef01156f555530970c-pi

Willkommen heißen.

April 28, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Govino — looks like crystal, drinks like glass, drops like plastic

1qwretdyghjk

Come on, joe, don't keep us in suspense: which is it?

Wrote Marianne Rohrlich in her "Currents" feature in the April 23, 2009 New York Times Styles section, "The glass, which was originally created for wine tastings by Boyd Willat, a product designer, and Joseph Perulli, a former wine wholesaler, is made of pharmaceutical-grade plastic, so it is unbreakable, reusable and recyclable after many uses. A notch makes it comfortable to hold, and a moat in the bottom allows for swirling."

AsDFGH

Four for $11.95.

April 28, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Tent stake hack

Ut7g

Fast, cheap & under control — the way a hack should be.

From the latest edition of Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools, edited by Steven Leckart, comes this wonderful kludge, described by Adam Farrow-Palmer.

•••••••••••••••••

Tent Peg Hack

I have used regular tent pegs hundreds of times and have been extremely dissatisfied. A great, simple alternative I've been using the last five years is to wrap or tape up a handful of large screws (8-inch or so) available from any hardware shop.
Wood, carriage and tapping screws are slightly heavier than tent pegs, but I've found they slide into the ground more easily, since they have sharper points. They are also cheaper and much easy to find in a pinch. Most importantly, the screws DO NOT BEND! No matter how hard you whack them.

If you are worried about the sharp end poking a hole in your pack, you can make a simple, light tent peg bag (pic above) by wrapping the pegs with an old scrap of towel and tying or using a rubber band to secure them (pic above)

Another point about the weight: the slight difference may be negated by the fact you don't need to carry and camp with a hammer or bulk mallet. You can pick up a rock and bash them, even carelessly, since they won't bend. As always: keep them at 45 degrees and tighten the guy ropes.

April 28, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Vapeur Lamp — by Inga Sempé

1qwedrfgh

From Nick Vinson's story in this past weekend's Financial Times:

Paris-based Sempé has a fascination with pleating. She sees it as a simple way to transform a material that is light and often otherwise too supple into something more solid, rigid and articulated. Her technique is on show in a storage system called Amoire Supple and a series of new lamps for Moustache, a new French furnishings company that has chosen this year’s Salone Internazionale del Mobile for its debut.

The example shown here (suspension Vapeur, which hangs from the ceiling) is made of pleated Tyvek, a paper usually used for envelopes and other packaging materials. Sempé says the material was ideally suited to this project, as it gives off a wonderful light 'like a cloud' thanks to its characteristic small fibres.

She has used seaming and a special process similar to hat-making to give the shades their unique shape. (Her first job at 18 was working for a milliner in Saint-Germain, where she learnt to shape hats on wooden moulds.) The shade sits in a white, powder-coated steel base and offers self assembly with a bit of fun. Simply attach the Tyvek, which comes in a tube, to the base and then punch it 'like a boxer' a few times to get the desired shape."

ZXCvbngfdsa

Apply within.

April 28, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Jai Ho! — 'Slumdog Millionaire' voted 'Best Picture of the Year (so far)' at bookofjoe

The returns were finalized about a half-hour into last night's DVD viewing here at boj World Headquarters™.

Sen-saysh-o-nal.

An Indian orthopedic surgeon recommended it to me last year, saying it was as close as you could get to being in Mumbai without actually visiting the "maximum city."

I took his word for it but then when he said it was kind of graphically violent I demurred.

But I kept reading about how great it was and finally took the plunge.

Suffice it to say that as these characters are being typed I'm listening to Amazon's MP3 download of the film's final track, "Jai Ho" [top].

That's only because the soundtrack itself won't arrive till tomorrow morning, my having it ordered it via overnight shipping before I went to bed last night.

I knew I wanted to hear nothing but that pulsing, driving music for the indefinite future.

Take a 99 cent trip to Mumbai from your own computer, right here, if watching and listening for free on YouTube isn't the cards for one reason or another.

How good is this film?

Not only did it easily past the boj watchability test with highest-flying colors but I didn't even look at the clock once during its 121 minute running time.

Long story short: It's Dickensian Victorian Oliver Twistian England catapulted into the early 21st century in a volatile, colorful country bursting with energy and potential and poised to rule the planet alongside China in the coming decades.

Great story, wonderful actors, superb direction and that music by A.R. Rahman, my God.

But the biggest star by far is Mumbai.

Maximum city, indeed.

As noted above, "Jai Ho" is the final track (of 13) on the soundtrack, accompanying the jaw-droppingly great closing credit sequence seen in abbreviated form up top.

When this film premiered last year in Mumbai and it came on I'll bet they tore down the house.

I'd have given anything to be there dancing with everyone.

April 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

MP3 USB Car Adapter

Rtguyjok

So far above my TechnoDolt™ pay grade, I'm looking down at it.

You go ahead, I'll watch.

••••••••••••••••••

MP3 USB Car Adapter

Now you can play your MP3s via your car radio.

Simply insert the device into your car's cigarette lighter socket, then plug in your MP3 player, DVD player or USB flash drive.

At the touch of a button your music files are transmitted through your car's stereo system.

Includes a full-range FM transmitter, frequency and track memory functions, and 11 programmable equalizer settings.

With the adapter you'll also get a multi-function remote control for use with your flash drive.

Adjustable body allows you to position the adapter for convenient operation.

3.5"H x 2"Ø.

••••••••••••••••••

Asfdghjbknmk,.
$34.99 (flash drive pictured above mos def not included).

April 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Woody Allen v American Apparel: For such a smart guy he sure does some dumb things

Woody Allen

No need to dredge up the past here, let's stay focused on the here and now, shall we?

Long story short: Last year he sued American Apparel for using his image on billboards in New York and Los Angeles (above) without permission.

Now comes Stuart Slotnick, a lawyer for American Apparel, promising a "scorched earth" cross-examination of Allen that will lift the rock on Allen's messy past personal life.

Said Slotnick to the Associated Press, "Certainly, our believe is that after the various sex scandals that Woody Allen has been associated with, corporate America's desire to have Woody Allen endorse their product is not what he may believe it is."

Slotnick's got a point: I must say I see a lot more TV commercials featuring LeBron than ones with Allen.

Of course, you're prolly not gonna see a Woody Allen commercial during ESPN's coverage of the NFL Draft or during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Jeez, Allen's 73 years old.

Doesn't he realize he's got much better things to do with his remaining time than respond to interrogatories and appear at depositions?

He needs to go to his library and dust off his Voltaire.

If he takes my advice (and why shouldn't he? I'm not using it...) he'll find this wonderful observation from the Frenchman:

"I was never ruined but twice in my life: once, when I lost a lawsuit — and once, when I won one."

I fear Allen's instead taking the path of his geriatric fellow-travelers Carl Icahn and Kirk Kerkorian, in what will inevitably be yet another confirmation of the truth of a Buddhist saying, to wit:

"Those who live by the water, die by the water."

I mean, if Allen hadn't had a hissy fit I'd never have searched Google for a good picture of the billboard that caused the kerfuffle and happened on the far more amusing ad below.

Jkhk

Just like "it's not the crime, it's the cover-up," it's not the act but, rather, the response that makes something like this go viral.

April 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack