« August 9, 2009 | Main | August 11, 2009 »

August 10, 2009

24 hours of world air traffic — in 1 minute

From the YouTube caption: "A 24-hour observation of all the large aircraft flights in the world (from airplane flight transponders via geostationary orbital satellites) patched together and condensed to about a minute. You can see it is summer in the north by the location of sunlight on the planet.  With this 24-hour observation of aircraft travel on the earth's surface, we also get to see the daylight pattern move across the planet. Note the intensity of traffic at London's Heathrow Airport. Notice the reduction of activity in each region during the darkness of late night/early morning."

[via Milena]

August 10, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Critical Corset

4hgj

Catchy, what?

The photo below

occupies the inside front cover of the latest issue (#19) of Make magazine, received here Saturday at bookofjoe World Headquarters™.

2nm.lfhk;l

For those who find white on red difficult, the ad copy above reads, "Meet Vanessa Carpenter and Dzl Møbius, SparkFun customers and developers of the Critical Corset. Using a heart rate monitor, an Arduino, and a cleverly hidden air pump system [above and below],

3fhukd

Vanessa and Diesel designed a corset that explores the rules of attraction. As the user's heart rate increases, the corset gently tightens, creating a more confident posture."

1feyhjjlh

Vanessa Carpenter offers a demonstration here.

August 10, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Back to the future with Verlyn Klinkenborg

1bnh

The sui generis philosopher/writer takes a trip back in time, and invites you along in his Editorial Notebook feature in today's New York Times; the piece follows.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I've  Got  Mail

2fgyer

I wish my memory worked differently. I’d like to be able to conjure up an accurate image of my consciousness from, say, 25 years ago. You know what 25 years means: No cellphones, no e-mail, no Internet, no social networking (except with an actual drink in hand), and only the most primitive of personal computers. What I want to answer is a single question: Was I as addicted to the future then as I seem to be now?

I ask this because I really enjoy a new update to my operating system, like the one I downloaded from Apple earlier this week. I find it surprisingly pleasing when one of my iPhone apps requests an update too. Every day I await, with anticipation, a long list of e-mail messages that could arrive at any second, and there are several people I’m really eager to get a text from. Those, too, could come at any time. Soon — even now — I could find my feed-list in Google Reader delightfully stuffed with newness. I am not a Twitterer. But I know the dismay the Twitter world must have felt during its service disruption last week.

3ghjg5yu

When I think back 25 years, there just wasn’t that much to be waiting for. The phone might ring — and if you left home, you had to leave without it. The mail would come, and so might UPS or Federal Express. Someone might stop by on the spur of the moment. A fax perhaps? And that was about it.

I’ve always looked forward to the mail coming. I don’t know why. And now I live in a world where the mail comes constantly, ceaselessly, a world where I find myself dismayed by the slowdown in blog feeds over the weekend. I consider myself a moderate user of personal electronics. I almost never wear earbuds. And yet this constant foretaste of the future, this hunger for the next electronic blip, feels to me like a full-blown addiction.

4rffjgd

Which is why I’d like a clearer picture of my old self. Was I a little more serene 25 years ago? Was there a little more silence inside my head? A little less expectation? Or was I leaning headlong into the future even then?

August 10, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Monsterpod — Industrial strength camera tripod

1dfghnm

From a website :

••••••••••••••••••••••

Monsterpod

2wqerghg

This marvel sticks to and peels right off just about anything.

Really, we mean anything.

3sdafg

We tried this thing on brick walls, trees, marble, cement, steel, sheet rock, wire fences, metal poles, plate glass windows, upside down, in the heat, in the cold, on furniture, street lamps, and on a car.

It sticks to over 1,000 things, and it's the closest thing to magic we've seen.

4eWFGN

Just screw your camera (up to 20 ounces) onto the adjustable pivoting tripod mount, then use your hands to mold the Monsterpod to any surface or object.

It'll hold its position from anywhere for 1-10 minutes (even longer, in our experience.)

5EWRFGHGN

When you're finished, gently peel the little guy off.

Dirt can simply be washed away with water.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Jl'k;jm

$30.

August 10, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Os Gêmeos

1cvbhjg

Wrote Roberta Smith

2gjjyhej

in her August 4, 2009 New York Times Arts section

3hhbhd

front page review,

4hjhj

"With their first public artwork [above and below] in Manhattan,

5bn,j

which went up at the northwest corner of

6nmddg

Houston Street and the Bowery on July 17,

7hjkhjk

the Brazilian brothers Otavio and Gustavo Pandolfo,

8ghjet

who call themselves Os Gêmeos,

9vbsf

bring graffiti art to its Rococo phase."

August 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Ferrari 458 Italia

Ferrari_458_Italia

Above, the successor to the F430 will be launched in Frankfurt next month.

"No word yet on pricing, but it will replace the F430, which has a base price of around $188,000.

Sweet.

August 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

'Do I feel...

lucky?'*

Well?

[*via Google]

August 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Pressure Points T-Shirt

Ssc_pressurepoints

"A tongue-in-cheek map to fictional nerve clusters that’ll cause everything from bone explosion to feelings of abandonment."

[via The Awesomer and The Daily What]