« September 10, 2009 | Main | September 12, 2009 »

September 11, 2009

Winning the Doritos Super Bowl Ad Contest is within my reach*

Humphrey

My simple plan: get a new iPod nano with video capability and make a 30-second Doritos commercial that 1) will be among the three Frito-Lay will air during the 2010 Super Bowl and 2) will place first in USA Today's annual Super Bowl Ad Meter.

Wrote Bruce Horovitz in yesterday's USA Today story, "Yet in the last Super Bowl, two unemployed brothers from Batesville, Ind., won Doritos' $1 million prize by finishing first in Ad Meter — and beating Madison Avenue's big-budget pros — with an ad about a guy who shatters a vending machine with his crystal ball after predicting free Doritos for everyone in the office."

Watch for early iterations of my grand prize winner-to-be spot in this space over the coming months.

Up top, a preview of coming attractions, featuring the nonpareil Humphrey.

*As Emerson said, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp."

September 11, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Double Cuff Socks

Ujklhhffhdhgs

Good idea.

Think outside the winter space — these should block leaves, dirt, stones, anything that usually gets down between your socks and shoes.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Double Cuff Socks

Keep snow out of shoes and boots.

Perfect for comfort and warmth while shoveling, walking or driving.

Terry-lined with an itch-free blend of merino wool, acrylic, nylon and spandex.

••••••••••••••••••••••

September 11, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Frankenstein Chair

Frankenstein chair
This morning in came the following email from one T.M. Schmid and the Strala Gallery in Zurich, Switzerland:

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to herewith present my brand new objects to you.

Additional texts and pictures for publication could be obtained at any time.

I would be extremely glad about possible coverage in your magazine.

I look forward to hear from you!

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Below,

Objekt

"Objekt."

That ought to be plenty loud enough to hear all the way across the pond and then some....

Apply within.

Mention you found them here and you'll get special attention.

Which may or may not be a good thing.

You'll have to be the judge.

But do let me know, I'm always looking for material.

September 11, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Clothespin Trash Can

14"W x 19"H.

$24 (trash not included).

[via Tim McKeough and the New York Times]

September 11, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

How do we know stuff out there, beyond our direct experience, is real?

The past few days, reading the newspapers which daily combine to form my sense of the great world beyond my yard, I've had this strange feeling, making me wonder if the foreign wars and uprisings and strife everywhere are really happening.

OK, it's not likely that there's a giant conspiracy afoot that's managed to make me believe in something that's a simulation but still, how do you ever really, truly know for sure?

After all, one quite highly regarded thinker believes that it's more likely than not we are indeed living in a simulation.

Remember Capricorn One?

You've never heard of it?

Well, there you are.

Watch it up top, then get back to me.

Nice touch, Sam Waterston among the cast, what?

September 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Daytimer Watch

1gghf

Designed by Will Alsop and Federico Grazzini.

2ghth

High-contrast blue OLED display

3bbn

by Seiko

4hn cbx

in asymmetrical polyurethane.

5gmgnm

$120.

September 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Sam Waterston for TD Ameritrade: Exploiting Mirror Neurons

More noticeable on the TV commercials than in the video above, but still evident if you're looking for it, is the almost constant side-to-side shaking of Waterston's head, known as "essential tremor" and increasingly common as people age.

About 1 in 20 people over 40 have essential tremor, the most prevalent movement disorder, present in about five million people in the U.S.

In most of these individuals symptoms will slowly progress over decades, yet remain mild.

Last week scientists at the Mayo Clinic reported the first known genetic link to essential tremor.

Perhaps it's natural for Waterston but I would bet that seniors watching these ads unconsciously feel more comfortable with someone like him who "speaks" their body language than some Mr. Big/Gordon Gekko type.

Expect to see more spokespeople like this as America ages.

September 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack