« September 12, 2009 | Main | September 14, 2009 »

September 13, 2009

On being a cat — by Flautist

Chillin'

Her September 11, 2009 comment on my post of two days earlier follows.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Regarding your project to experience and see things as Gray Cat [above and below] does, I can save you some time and effort.  I've already done it with my felines and here's my report:  They spend their time dividing everything up into Feels Good or Doesn't Feel Good, and Exciting or Not Exciting.  There is broad agreement amongst felines and plenty of individual quirks.  Feels Good examples — chin scratch, sunny spot, chow; Doesn't — bath, medicine applications, toenail clipping.  Exciting — squirrel chase, bird stalk, cockroach hunt; Not — waiting for playtime, waiting for rodents to show up, etc.  They can occasionally feel deeply conflicted; when I pick up Laurence (cat) I like to hold him upside down like a baby, which he hates, and he plants back feet under my chin in readiness to kick forcefully for release, but he seldom uses that move because he knows he will get back of head scratch which he loves more than anything on earth.  Anyway, all that is to say, this is pretty much what you need to know about Gray Cat's (literal) experience of life.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

IMG_0078

September 13, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Motion Detecting Telephone with Silent Alert

That's different.

•••••••••••••••••••••

Motion Detecting Telephone

This telephone detects motion and silently calls whatever number you desire, allowing you to monitor the sound in the room.

Its microphone allows you to listen in on sounds and conversations, enabling you to verify if it's just your cleaning service, a neighbor watering your prized orchids, or a more nefarious plot.

Ideal for use in vacation homes or any time you are away, the phone looks like a typical corded telephone and plugs into a standard telephone outlet, requiring no service fees.

It has a sensitive motion detector: when you position it to face a doorway or window and someone triggers the detector, the phone will automatically call any number your enter and let you listen.

It also functions as a normal telephone.

•••••••••••••••••••••

They had me at "... a more nefarious plot."

September 13, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Fender x Yater Guitar

O[po[o

From the September 2009 issue of Juxtapoz magazine:

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Fender x Yater Guitar Project

Roadhouse lore has it that guitar innovator Leo Fender and legendary reclusive surfboard shaper Reynolds "Lone Wolf" Yater were linked on a development project back in 1954. Rennie's penchant for volumetric perfection and Fender's burgeoning business interrupted their interaction. Leo's passing in 1991 is rumored to have inspired the Lone Wolf and a group of tonal partisans to perform a remarkable piece of work.

We encountered this quixotic instrument at the Plaza Del Mar in Santa Barbara. The atelier is housed in an historic 1906 building and is a gathering spot for artists and craftsmen. Participants in this informal collective teamed up to massage Yater's uniquely hand-shaped axe into existence.

Raconteur James O'Mahoney served as top kick, Tom Long prepared the seasoned 60-year-old ash blank, Paul Schürch finessed the flamed maple cap, and Seymour Duncan crafted the Jazzmaster wiring and custom pickups. Phil Kubicki made the 1970 George Harrison solid rosewood neck and luthier Jim Lombard executed the tobacco-stained sunburst nitrocellulose finish and set up the flawless intonation. The finished masterpiece resides in an aluminum case hand formed by Scott DaPron. Other providers of conceptual logistics include the likes of Kevin AncellChris Kirkegaard, and CR Stecyk III.

We can testify that this stunning piece of functional art plays perfectly. As to its future, I can only speculate. Is it a possible future Fender Custom Shop release?

If that's not the story, then this is just a one-of-a-kind guitar that's worth more than a house. A museum piece that does something.

September 13, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Tubelor — Official Trash Can of bookofjoe

O=-op=

And believe you me, trash cans around here get plenty of use (why are you not surprised?).

Also in unofficial colors: Black, White, Grey, Red, and Light Blue.

Twelve inches high, eight inches in diameter.

$49 (plastic bag not included).

September 13, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

The four elements of fame — by Leo Braudy

0000021096_350

• A person

• An accomplishment

• Immediate publicity

• "What posterity has thought about them ever since"

From Eric Felten's September 11, 2009 "De Gustibus" column in the Wall Street Journal: "'Fame is made up of four elements,' writes Leo Braudy in his 1986 book 'The Frenzy of Renown': a person, an accomplishment, immediate publicity and, as he puts it, "what posterity has thought about them ever since." Or at least that is what fame used to be. Nowadays, we have the person, but no accomplishment; we have the immediate publicity (and lots of it), but posterity will only ask "who?" Which is to say that what passes for fame now is a counterfeit."

September 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Handle Tray — Because you never know when food will break out

1ey5rfgb

Designed by Kazuhiko Tomita for +d.

2w4tedfg

Briefcase-shaped tray with handle.

3gfh

42cm W x 40cm L x 2.2cm H; ABS plastic.

4jkfdy

Stackable or hang on a hook.

5cvvb

€29.

September 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Press — Pierre Rigal

Watch the man New York Times dance critic Alistair Macauley called "... the latest French mime artist from hell."

Back story here.

September 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Moving a refrigerator

P609438L

Last evening when I was sitting quietly with Gray Cat listening to the tree frogs and crickets, I noticed that distinct from the never-ending 24/7/365 high-pitched tinnitus I've had since about age 12 — I used to think there was a brain tumor causing it but as the decades have passed and the tinnitus has remained unchanged, unique among all the features and functions of my corpus (TMI? Yes, I can see how that could be interpreted as such, sorry fa dat), I've come to think it's probably middle-ear rather than middle brain [or Middle Earth, for that matter] related) — there was a motor noise.

There was only one motor going at the time: the refrigerator's.

And as is usually the case with refrigerators, it hasn't been moved from its alcove since I bought it back in 1995.

I recall reading somewhere that you're supposed to keep the coils and such in back free of dust for the fridge to work as it's meant to.

Yeah, right.

But maybe, just maybe, if I were to move the fridge out from the wall and clean behind/under it, it would work more efficiently = run less often = offer more silence in the kitchen space to me and Gray Cat — who doesn't seem to be much troubled by noise of any sort or volume as mentioned here previously, routinely perching within two feet of giant speakers blasting Jimi Hendrix at 10/10 volume and appearing to be sound asleep.

Sort of like one of those rockstar children you used to see at concerts, dozing in front of one of those mega tower of power speakers at Wembly Stadium and suchlike.

Anyway.

I happened on the Home Trolley pictured at the top of this post and read where "... moving a ... fridge can be as easy as pushing a shopping cart."

That sounded pretty good to me so I ordered the setup, which includes four rollers and one steel lever.

Cheap at twice the $14.99 price.

Though I may not think so when I write the follow-up from the hospital, hunting and pecking in my total body traction/cast resulting from the thing falling on top of me with only Gray Cat to call for help.

Oh, well.