« Corn boat with integrated holders | Home | Meringue Rings »

September 21, 2009

BehindTheMedspeak: EZ-IO Intraosseous Infusion System made my jaw drop

I've seen it advertised in medical journals and read reports in the literature but none of that prepared me for the amazing video demonstration above.

Long story short: The device drills a 15G IV directly into large bones in less than five seconds with little pain, delivers up to 150cc/minute without a pressure bag and comes out with no pain or hematoma.

Simply astounding.

Where was this puppy back in the day when it was just exhausted me and my hands in a procedure room at 2 a.m., a nurse to hold a dehydrated, screaming kid who'd been stuck a million times previously and had no veins left, and the imperative of establishing venous access to administer fluid and medications?

September 21, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak: EZ-IO Intraosseous Infusion System made my jaw drop:

Comments

Still recovering from my faint...

Posted by: Squeamish Miles | Sep 22, 2009 1:09:10 PM

I worked at a hospital in Oregon more than 10 years ago that required IO devices for any child who needed access for more than 3 days. I still cringe at that "crunch" sound, but I have to say that the children all tolerated the start procedure and the therapy without difficulty. The reason for that hospital's policy was that it was statistically safer and more effective. It just looks awful.

Posted by: mick | Sep 22, 2009 12:19:18 PM

Little pain? How much was this guy paid? Needle in my vein vs. drill in my bone. I...I'm trying, but I'm not buyin' it.

Posted by: Tamra | Sep 22, 2009 11:58:54 AM

gee, i've got to pick one of these up tomorrow

Posted by: rob | Sep 21, 2009 9:53:08 PM

We carried the i.o. device in the field as a para medic. When we had to practice to use it they went to the store and got some chicken bones to poke. Thank God I always had a driver who was faster to the hospital than I was to put the device in.

Posted by: Paul Sabaj | Sep 21, 2009 8:19:01 PM

OMG I don't think I could do it. It just looks so ... not fun... If I can convince the poker to stab the correct vein in the first place, I'm good, but if they insist on using the OTHER arm, or an "easier" vein, that's when I run into trouble.

Posted by: BubbleGirl | Sep 21, 2009 5:24:12 PM

many moons ago I was that screaming kid who they kept pokin and missing veins...
This is good news for screaming 2AM sick kids of the future