« Easy-Read Playing Cards | Home | What is it? »

October 10, 2009

'I do love a palate cleanser of pure Newcastle Brown' โ€” Nicholson Baker

1fhnmv

Me too, now that I've twigged and picked up the clue phone.

In the opening chapter of his new novel, "The Anthologist," Baker's protagonist, poet Paul Chowder, ruminates on what's going on around him at his home.

"But I think I will step in from the driveway for a moment to get a clear glass bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale."

3wedfvgbn

I'd never tried it before reading these sentences but did so soon after.

Wonderful brew, just named Official Brown Ale of bookofjoe.

Try it, you'll like it.

2wedfvg

If not, let me know and I'll refund every penny you paid for yours.

October 10, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'I do love a palate cleanser of pure Newcastle Brown' โ€” Nicholson Baker:

Comments

It appears that we share similar tastes in beer :-)

Posted by: Nikolas | Oct 15, 2009 4:20:47 PM

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is a vast improvement.

For craft ales, try: Big Two-Hearted Ale from Michigan. It has all of the Hops that Sam Adams wished they had (and will make a Brit smile at the US version of a Pint of Bitter).

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Oct 11, 2009 2:41:07 PM

Blushing...TY

Posted by: Joe Peach | Oct 10, 2009 7:03:53 PM

I like you!

Posted by: jo | Oct 10, 2009 6:52:25 PM

Cheers jo! Be nice (although correct), What do you like from the states?

Posted by: Joe Peach | Oct 10, 2009 6:38:15 PM

Being exposed to light may ruin a beer so you'll always find the crappy beer in clear bottles. Also, as beer is perishable I prefer to drink a beer close to home rather than one that crossed the ocean on a boat. Bet you could find some good craft beers right there in Virginnie.
Btw they have a crappy "football" team as well.

Posted by: Nick B | Oct 10, 2009 6:07:13 PM

can you really buy that cack in the states. I'm so sorry. If you want a nice british beer try directors bitter. Oh well, I supose us sending you cack beer makes up for you sending us Paris Hilton...and madonna, and gweneth paltrow. well almost.

Posted by: jo | Oct 10, 2009 4:13:40 PM