« November 5, 2009 | Main | November 7, 2009 »

November 6, 2009

'Brian Jungen: Strange Comfort'

1fh

Jungen is an Indian artist, a member of the Dunne-za First Nation in British Columbia

2fh

who uses contemporary materials to construct objects which resonate with his own native culture,

3ff

although his current show at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C.,

4jjyt

up through August 8, 2009,

5tuy

is his first at an Indian art museum, previous exhibitions having taken place

6yiuyiu

in such venues as Tate Modern in London and the New Museum in New York.

7gyjtu

Above and below,

8juiuu

selections from the show .

November 6, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Self-Coiling Downspout Diverter — Episode 3: Monster Price Break

33tytjy

I like to feature this item every couple years and when my crack research team went to source it, lo and behold they found the price had dropped 80% since its 2005 and 2007 appearances.

Nice.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Self-Coiling Rain Drain

• Uncoils with water pressure

• Distributes rainwater through tiny holes

• Neatly curls back up with built-in coiled spring

• Flexible 46"-long vinyl drain attaches to any downspout

•••••••••••••••••••••••

November 6, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Freedom — Just another word for not being online

K;ok;ok;lk;

It's a free download for Macs only "... which blocks your internet access for up to eight hours at a  stretch," wrote Peggy Orenstein in a rave review of the program in the October 25, 2009 New York Times magazine.

She continued, "The program was developed by Fred Stutzman, a graduate student in information and library science, whose own failsafe self-binding technique — writing at a cafe without Internet access — came undone when the place went wireless. 'We’re moving toward this era where we’ll never be able to escape from the cloud,' he told me. 'I realized the only way to fight back was at an individual, personal level.'"

2nghrwj

Orenstein added: "I am still surprised by the relief that floods me whenever I bind myself from going online, when I have no option but to ignore the incessant tweets and e-mail messages and videos and news links and even the legitimate research."

November 6, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

USB Email Notifier

"When you receive a new email the envelope will light up, it will make a sound and then start blinking."

$29.58 (email not included).

November 6, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World's fastest Snow Cat

"The TRAX STI's performance features include 400-hp and Group N competition rally dampers made by EXE-TC and a KAPS 5-speed close-ratio dog-engagement gearbox. Under the hood sits a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged and intercooled STI engine tuned with a MOTEC M800 ECU. Also, the TRAX STI body is custom-designed and constructed of hand-laid fiberglass."

[via Whollysblog]

November 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Laser-etched fruits and vegetables slated to replace those annoying little paper labels

1rdytr

Not a minute too soon.

Much more on the technology here.

2kguig

Laser labeling has the potential to identify individual items down to the level of the farm they were grown on, which could be a boon to artisanal producers.

[via PSFK and Inhabitat]

November 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

bookofjoe MoneyMaker®™©: this one's for bit.ly, my new best friend

Gdfjutejkt

Seeing as I'm using bit.ly many times daily now that my TweetMachine app is going full bore (ha, bet you didn't know about that one, huh? That's cause it's still in alpha in my peabrain), I figured I'd pay them back a bit for the excellent performance of their site.

Here's what they need to do: make it so people can have access — either by automatic feed or by visiting a designated site — to the bit.ly'd URLs of others they might want to follow.

Just now, looking at a list of recent shortened ones (top), I realized that each of them was for one reason or another of interest to me; maybe they'd be of interest to others who might not want to go the Twitter route.

Just a thought.

Worth exactly what you paid for it.

November 6, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Pascal Mouawad x Jermaine Dupri Nu Pop Watch

Ipio

Yellow, Brown, Red or White.

$145.