« December 16, 2009 | Main | December 18, 2009 »

December 17, 2009

The reason cheap electronics are just that

Printer fixing gone wrong

In my TechnoDolt™ hands, you get what you pay for if what you're paying for is bottom of the line Epson inkjet printers (my current throwaway iteration is the C88+ — I've been through four or five over the past few years; they cost about $85) and Canon scanners (I'm using a CanoScan LiDE 600F for which I paid $100).

Invariably the printers start producing crummy output after five or six months (ink is variable in density; adventitious marks appear on the paper; smears start to happen, et al) and I order a new one.

The incumbent introduces a new (to me) problem, to wit: the entire print field is misaligned such that the lines of type slant down noticeably from the horizontal.

The scanner's never been right, even out of the box: no matter how meticulous I am about aligning the edges of the paper to be scanned with the designated edges of the scanner bed, the output is always not oriented correctly but instead tilted a few degrees from vertical/horizontal, such that I have to then go back and rescan the document several times, each time placing it a little off-center to correct for the machine's malfunction.

Big pain in the butt.

But as I said, you get what you pay for.

2xsNt04Gyhcl6tq8BH9aGLEdo1_400

I'm not complaining, see; I'm just 'splainin.

December 17, 2009 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Wood iPhone Case

1wedf

Solid wood, felt interior,

C807_vers_wood_iphone_case-1

corners reinforced with steel pins.

Rrrrrr

December 17, 2009 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Duration of compulsory education around the world

Khiouhiuh

It is confounding to me that Argentina went from being one of the richest countries in the world to Third World status even as its populace remained the best educated (according to the graphic above) in the world.

[via ChartsBin]

December 17, 2009 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

'When pigs fly' — How about now? Is now good for you?

1wedeavfs

Because if you can pony up $8.99, you're money. As it were.

From the website: "Flying through the air like an old-fashioned slingshot, our cuddly pig oinks with every landing. To launch this fearless barnyard friend, simply place one finger in each of his hand pockets, pull back on the elastic arms, and release. Ages 5 and up."

23erfgb

Hey, that means everyone who's reading this — sweet.

December 17, 2009 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Man O' Clock

"This clock does not actually have a man inside but is a flatscreen that plays a 24-hour loop of this video by the artist watching his own clock somewhere and painstakingly erasing and re-writing each minute. This video was taken at Design Miami during Art Basel Miami Beach 2009."

December 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Black.

53erfghbn

$10.

December 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

nonplussed by 'nonplussed' — Episode 2: a new meaning emerges

1wedfg
..........................................................................................

This wonderful word, oftimes seen in print, confuses most people, who don't know if it means "unperturbed" or its opposite, i.e., "surprised and confused."

Turns out that it's an "Alice [in Wonderland]" word, to wit: it means whatever you want it to mean.

If you don't believe me, well then, read the Compact Oxford English Dictionary's entry (above) for it.

December 17, 2009 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

PermaFLOW Never-Clog Drain — I want one yesterday

W4setdryfiguyhibj

"Provides a permanent way to eliminate drain clogs. With transparent design, you can even see items that you may have accidentally dropped down the drain. If your PermaFLOW gets clogged, simple turn the knob on the side and it'll wipe the blockage out right away."

Mine's on its way, I can't tell you how excited I am.

Yes, I have problems.

Serious ones.

But I'm still excited as heck about this.

2we4drftguhj