« January 25, 2010 | Main | January 27, 2010 »

January 26, 2010

Got carpets? Then you want Royal Carpet Cleaners if you're driving distance from central Virginia

Official carpet cleaners of bookofjoe.

I'd never had my carpets cleaned in the 25 or so years I've owned them.

A quarter of a century of traffic, sunlight and whatnot and you're talking an awful lot underfoot.

Anyway, about two months ago I got tired of looking away from some dark stains on one of my favorite carpets and decided maybe I'd try to sponge it clean.

Not likely.

Long story short: not gonna happen with the tools, materials and ability I have at my disposal.

So I opened up the Yellow Pages for perhaps the first time all year to see what I could see under "Carpets, Cleaning."

Lots of places do it but only — Royal — offered to do it right here in my house.

I like that, two trips I don't have to make.

So I called them and they called me back and said they'd do it.

And so they did, Mike Alechko (say "Alek-o") and his son Seth.

If I didn't know it was the same carpet, I'd have thought they'd somehow switched it out, it looked that much better, the colors vibrant and bright like they were when I bought it.

So I had them look at all the rest and give me an estimate.

Long story short: they did them all, first using a specialized vacuum cleaner to get out big stuff and then their special machines and materials to deep clean.

Bonus: no horrible chemical smells like happens when professional house cleaners do their thing.

Anyway.

The carpets look spectacular (above and below) and I'm pleased to recommend Royal (www.royalcarpetcleaners.com; 434-293-9764 or 434-962-2666) without reservations to any and all who might consider a serious upgrade for not a whole lot of money.

FunFact: The photo on the homepage of the company's website is of Mike, back in the day.

"After" photos — I know, I should've taken "Before" pictures but frankly, they looked so yucky I just wasn't all that excited about seeing coffee stains, cat and dog hair, and God knows what else in crisp photographic detail — appear here.

Oh, yeah, one last thing: should you call, tell Mike I sent you — I guaranteed him he'd hear from at least one person who found him via boj.

January 26, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Gorodki Game Machine Magnet

Xgdhcfjgvkhbljn

"This photo of a famous Soviet-era arcade machine can be a nice retro touch on your fridge."

Vinyl; 2" x 3".

$4.

January 26, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Reem in Amman, Jordan: Best shawarma in the Middle East?

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0120a78b5659970b-600wi

Long story short, from Michael Slackman's December 29, 2009 New York Times story: People from all over the city — and the world — go way out of their way to order shawarma from the tiny shop (above and below) on Amman's second circle, which sells more than 5,000 of the $1 sandwiches daily.

Here's the article.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

ArticleLarge

Wrapped in a Pita, a Taste Jordanians Can't Resist

If you were to slow everything down, this is what you would see: scoop of sauce, pinch of onions, scoop of tomatoes, shovel in some meat, roll it all up in a pita.

But who has time to slow down? The crowds are always pressed up against the gate — in the searing heat of a Jordan summer day or the desert chill of a cold winter night — outside Reem, a hole-in-the wall takeout place with a reputation for the best beef and lamb shawarma sandwiches in the Middle East.

Shawarma is marinated meat grilled on an upright skewer, then shaved off in bits and rolled in a pita. It looks like a Greek gyro.

Behind the counter, Alaa Abdel Fattah flies through ingredients, rocking at the waist, with the focus and precision of an athlete. He assembles sandwiches in a blur. Four seconds each. “You get used to it,” he says, pausing for a moment to wipe sweat from his brow.

And then back at it because the crowds never let up.

This tiny shop, with its open-air storefront and two upright logs of rotating meat, sells more than 5,000 sandwiches a day, for about $1 apiece. The family that owns Reem now has four small restaurants in Amman, and copycat Reem shawarma stands have opened throughout the Middle East. It is a must-eat for legions of locals and visitors.

“It is like a pillar for me to eat here,” said Hamza al-Maini, 22, who said he traveled across Amman, past many other shawarma shops, to buy from Reem. “I have to come every week. I think it’s the best.”

Jordanians acknowledge that shawarma was originally imported, probably from Turkey, maybe from Greece, but it has clearly become a local food, having been adapted to native tastes and customs.

But who cares? Not the diners at Reem. They come here to eat, often in their cars, or standing outside, bent over a bit at the waist to avoid drips of grease and sauce that can leak out the bottom (if they have foolishly pulled away the paper wrapper).

It is a remarkable sight, known to anyone who has ever passed by the second circle (Amman is built on seven hills with seven traffic circles): crowds, all day, every day, outside this oversize kiosk.

“It’s the McDonald’s of the Arab world,” said Momtaz al-Shorafa, who said he had his friend, Muhammad Kiswani, drive him across town to get two sandwiches each.

Of course, there is no way to say for sure that Reem’s shawarma is the best in the Middle East. Even in Amman there are competitors and, well, shawarma often tastes like shawarma, no matter who is serving it.

“Try the shawarma here and the shawarma there; you wouldn’t taste a difference,” said Sameh Shokry, who works at a competitor, Shawarma Mawal.

That may be, but Reem has buzz.

It was founded in 1976 by Ahmed Ali Bani Hammad, who had worked as a cook in Lebanon, which is known for the best, freshest cuisine in the region. He returned home and opened his own shop. It is narrow, just wide enough for a cashier, two upright gas ovens to cook the meat, and an assembly of eight young men who cook, cut and serve nonstop.

Little has changed since he opened the place, except that now his sons, Sammer and Khalid, run the business. They drive around the city in a Porsche Cayenne and dress in expensive leather jackets.

“You make good money with shawarma?”

“Yes we do,” said Sammer Bani Hammad, the eldest son, laughing. He inherited the most important family responsibility when his father died five years ago.

He is the keeper of the secret recipe.

Mr. Hammad said the key to Reem’s success was the marinade used for the meat. He does not cook anymore, not as he did when he was a child working with his father, shaving off meat in front of a hot fire all day. But he does mix the marinade because no one else can know the ingredients. “The marinade has not changed; it is my father’s recipe,” he said.

The meat is marinated in a central kitchen, then pierced onto skewers. Thick layers of meat alternate with sections of fat to ensure a moist and greasy — and tasty — sandwich. Mr. Hammad would not even hint at the recipe, but the meat smells a bit of the Indian spice cardamom, or maybe cinnamon, and it tastes like salt, lots and lots of salt.

As it cooks, the outside of the meat blackens. That is when one of the cutters, like Mr. Fattah, gets to work, drawing a long sharp blade down the outside of the log, taking off just the cooked part, then letting it sit beneath the log of simmering fat and meat, cooking in the heat, collecting drips from above.

When the pile is large enough, Mr. Fattah plants his feet farther apart and begins rocking at the waist, flying through the ingredients. The sauce is tahini, made from sesame seeds.

Reem goes through more than 1,000 pounds of meat a day.

“Our customers are from across all classes,” Mr. Hammad said. “You can see a minister, a laborer, an actor, they are all here, they all wait the same.”

In that sense, you might look at Reem as a social equalizer in a very stratified society. But there is little in the name to suggest anything so profound.

“Reem,” he said, shaking his head, “is just a nice Arabic name. It’s not named after anyone. My father just liked it.”

January 26, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

C-Clamp Tripod

1206464514-fullpic

"Non-marring pads securely grip all surfaces — glass, wood, book, railing — and the head swivels through 135° to capture subjects at all angles."

Die-cast aluminum alloy with a black finish; weighs 2 oz.

Clamp range: 1/16"-1½".

Clamp size: 4"×1¾"×1".

[via Virginia Moore]

January 26, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Limited-Edition Marmite Guinness

6a00d8341d811753ef00e54f1a440e8834-800wi

Does Paul Biba know about this?

Not a Photoshop creation but a real product, a special run of Marmite made for St. Patrick's Day in 2007 from leftover yeast matter from the Guinness brewery.

I wonder what one of these might bring on eBay.

[via Perez-Fox.com and News blog]

January 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

New! Tape

9d7getft

197 feet long x 2 inches wide.

$6.

January 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World mapped by young population

Aewrsdtyfgu

The greener the color, the higher the percentage of the population 14 years of age or younger.

Highest: Uganda (50%).

Lowest: Japan and Italy (13.5%).

At some point the young are going to say "Enough with the taxes" — and the social fabric will rip so fast it won't be funny (or pretty).

From ChartsBin.

January 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Skull Light

3eqrefgdb

22cm H x 15cm D x 11.5cm W.

£50.