« April 14, 2010 | Main | April 16, 2010 »

April 15, 2010

Haggis-flavored chocolates

B123788937127098293_549993t

Umm, haggis.

Here's an April 11, 2010 BBC News story with the details.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Haggis-flavoured chocolates 'puzzle' customers

There is now a new way to tuck into Scotland's national dish, after a firm launched haggis-flavoured chocolates.

Edinburgh-based chocolate maker Nadia Ellingham said people had been a "bit puzzled" by her creation.

The 43-year-old came up with the idea after creating chocolates inspired by chestnut and cranberry stuffing.

Her recipe includes a range of spices used in haggis, such as nutmeg, black pepper and oatmeal, but excludes the offal part of the dish.

The recipe for haggis varies but it can be made using a sheep's stomach bag which holds a mix of sheep's liver, heart and lung, oatmeal, suet, stock, onions and spices.

Ms Ellingham, founder of the Thinking Chocolate firm, said she "scoured around lots of different haggis recipes to find a lot of the common ingredients".

"I filtered it down and came up with the ingredients that come up most often, eliminated the offal aspect of the dish, did some recipe development and it went from there," she said.

"At first taste it's a dark spicy chocolate, but then the more peppery notes come through."

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Ms. Ellingham told The Independent that "We do them now in January for Burns night and the rest of the year people can order them via our website."

Below,

Haggis_thumb

haggis.

[via Weird Universe]

April 15, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

TV Hat: 'Your own personal private theater — anywhere, anytime'

I wonder if my iPad will fit....

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Watch what you want, when you want, where you want.

Slide your iPod, iPhone or most any MP3 player into the interior pouch and the attached 2.5x magnification screen helps give you a movie theater experience.

Privacy side shields prevent others from seeing what you are viewing.

Use on planes, while camping, at the beach, even at home in bed.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

[via 7Gadgets]

April 15, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

iPad — The user experience: Sending a link

Mail-docy5u

After using the device for nearly two weeks, it becomes apparent that among its most powerful and attractive features is the ability to almost effortlessly send email links to other people.

From Safari, anytime I see anything that might interest someone I know, I touch the + sign at the top of the screen, which opens a drop down menu (top) with three options: Add Bookmark; Add to Home Screen; Mail Link to this Page.

I touch "Mail Link to this Page" and an email To/From box appears along with the virtual keyboard.

I enter the first two letters of an email address in "To" and the entire address appears below in a new window.

I touch that and it appears in the "To" box.

I touch "Send" and it's gone, along with the little "whoosh" sound that tells me it really did happen.

Total elapsed time from deciding to send it until sent: About 5 seconds.

Bonus: No moving to a new screen, no entering my own email address since it's already there, no Captcha.

Almost perfect.

What would make it better? Gesture control sans the need to touch the screen.

What would make it perfect?

Voice control.

Coming in Gen 2, prolly.

One can dream.

Alas, there's TypePad on iPad, still sadly out of touch.

No pun intended.

If you try to create a post, the default is "Publish" instead of — as it should be and is in the full application — "Draft," so before you know it it's appeared on boj without the necessary bells/whistles/corrections/proofreading/etc.

FAIL.

April 15, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Ultra-mini Digital Camera — 'Mine's smaller than yours'

Chobi-mini-digital-camera-002

5MP sensor;

Zxcvbnm,jktr

stills resolution = 2048 x 1536;

Df gh:k.j;ljht

video = 1280 x 960

Xzcvb

@30fps.

Xcvbn

$148.

[via LikeCool]

April 15, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

African Air — by George Steinmetz

There is no one like him in all the world.

Below, his presentation at Google last year.

Another?

You got it.

Sorry,

I simply couldn't resist just one more.

April 15, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Yes, We're Mean

C7A668_fullsize

"What began as a never-produced poster idea has propagated itself into a series of 9 mock OPEN/CLOSED signs."

2-color (blaze orange/black) screen print on double-thick white stock.

Apiece, $10.

[via FFFFOUND!]

April 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

'This video has been removed by the user'

Aaaaaaaaaa

From time to time, when for one reason or another I look at an old post, I'm surprised by the notice up top.

It's the non-profit equivalent of stuff I feature selling out, such that I get emails three, four even five years after a post, asking where can I buy this, that or the other, the original link being non-operative.

Hey, what can I say?

ZxaSDFBGEQ

If you want to watch something, don't bookmark it but, rather, do it now.

If you see something you like, don't say to yourself you'll order it come Christmas but, rather, get it while it's hot.

I'm just saying.

Which, I just realized, is a phrase you don't hear much anymore.

April 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

GreedEater — by Jud Turner

The Eugene-based sculptor's mechanized angler fish

is a found object assemblage.

Dimensions: 48" x 18" x 7".

Completed April, 2010.

Note: Turner emailed me to remark that it was rather droll of me to feature the above-titled work on tax day.

Droll works for me.