« April 16, 2010 | Main | April 18, 2010 »

April 17, 2010

It's fun to figure out the answer to a question or problem when there's no right solution

Alfred 8vbngjh

Isn't that kind of goofy, liking that sort of thing?

Especially if, like me, you're the type of person who really gets into solving a problem that has one (or more) discrete, definite right-not-wrong solutions.

For example, when my crack research team (I no longer capitalize its name, because it's so pathetic it deserves as little notice as possible, at least from your end; trust me, the visuals on this end are nothing to call Anna Wintour about... but I digress) messes up as they are increasingly wont to do (ya think maybe it's time to stop recruiting at McDonald's and Taco Bell? You could be right...), more often than not putting up a post when it's not supposed to go up or missing posting one that was), I'm forced to figure out a way to make the books balance at the end of the day.

See, some years ago, for no reason I can recall, I decided there would be eight posts daily, one minute after the hour from 9:01 a.m. ET to 4:01 p.m. ET.

So when an extra one appears, I need to defer one of those scheduled for later that day to a future date.

The question then becomes (assuming the screw-up has happened and been recognized before 2:01 p.m.), should I reschedule the remaining posts such that, for example, one appears at 2:31 p.m. and the last at 4:01 p.m., or instead let two hours pass between the 2:01 p.m. post and the final one for the day?

It's kind of arbitrary, what I decide to do, actually: I'd say about half the time I don't do anything, instead letting the gap stand, and the other half I indeed reschedule such that out of nowhere comes a :31 post.

So when you see posts appearing 31 minutes after the hour or at 5 or 6 p.m., assume it's yet another snafu here at bookofjoe World Headquarters©™®.

Hey, I'm doing the best I can.

April 17, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Chromatherapy Coasters take you back to the 60s — Freak out

Coasters-369377

"Looks like an ordinary coaster until you set a glass on it. Then it automatically turns on, directing a rainbow of colors upward to add instant punch to your party."

Asdfgh

Set of 4: $9.99.

April 17, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

How to feel miserable as an artist — by Keri Smith

Miserable
..........................................

Part of The Artist's Survival Kit.

Wrote Smith, "I love that this list has been somewhat controversial to some, it garners a slightly hostile response in a few people (who wrote me expressing upset with it's 'negative' feel). You should probably know by now that I love any work that provokes a unique response from every reader. All of my work is based on this. When I wrote it I felt it was innately positive so the response is interesting to me."

Buy her new book [below],

QwEARTTHGJ

she can use the money.

[via What Alice Found]

April 17, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Rotating Curved Shower Rod

Shower-curtain-rod-360670_2

Takes the by-now old hat curved shower rod for a full 360°.

"When in space-saving mode, it's great for drip-drying garments as the water drips into the tub and not on the floor."

Clever.

Shower-curtain-rod-360670

$59.99

April 17, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Johnny B. Goode — Chuck Berry

And it was awfully goode.

84 come October 18, this living treasure is still rockin'.

April 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Hide in plain sight — Wine cork flash drive

345uyitr

2GB.

April 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Cleaning wooden kitchen utensils

Qetyty

From the May & June 2010 issue of Cook's Illustrated.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

We love wooden spoons, but because of their tendency to retain odors and transfer flavors, a hint of yesterday's French onion soup can end up in today's beurre blanc. Since it isn't advisable to put wooden utensils in the dishwasher [don't worry, I won't tell], what's the best way to remove odors?

To find out, we stood six brand-new wooden spoons in a container of freshly chopped raw onions for 30 minutes, rinsed then with water, then cleaned them with the following substances: dish detergent and water, vinegar and water, bleach and water, a lemon dipped in salt, a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a teaspoon of water, and more plain water as a control.

The only spoon that our panel of sniffers deemed odor-free was the one scrubbed with baking soda. Odors left behind in the porous surface of a wooden spoon are often caused by weak organic acids. Baking soda neutralizes such acids, eliminating their odor. Furthermore, since baking soda is water soluble, it is drawn into the wood along with the moisture in the paste, thus working its magic as far as the water is able to penetrate.

April 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack