« July 25, 2010 | Main | July 27, 2010 »

July 26, 2010

Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef

"The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef is a wooly celebration of of the intersection of higher geometry and feminine handicraft, and a testimony to the disappearing wonders of the marine world."

Created and curated by Christine Wertheim and Margaret Wertheim of The Institute for Figuring.

The Reef is part of the "National Design Triennial: Why Design Now?" show currently up at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York City.

The piece will travel to the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C., where it will be on display from October 16, 2010 through April 17, 2011.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef013485a052ea970c-450wi

Hyperbolic crochet was invented by Dr. Daina Taimina.

Contributors to the project here.

July 26, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Morph Picasso Notepad

Xczvb

"The sides of the pad are printed with a cool design and the binding of the pad is made of a special moldable material that lets you turn the notepad into a desktop work of art."

[via boxbank+]

July 26, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"Because every country is the best at something"

Efergtb

"Roll over the image [the one on the site, booboo] to see the countries."

Reminds me of new age psychobabble in preschool.

[via Milena]

July 26, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Garden (Egg) Chair

2l. ,bnli

A 1968 design by Peter Ghyczy, it's become a classic.

R0011055

Seating height: 31cm.

Open: 84 x 74 x 98cm.

Closed: 84 x 74 x 45cm.

"Every egg is numbered and has a certificate of authenticity."

As044a080b

Because you sure don't want to end up with a bad egg.

27260ea0b5565015ert7289ff82fd116de6db-orig

Apply within.

July 26, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Twitter Doctors

34rtgh

The headline over the story that came in from Shawn Zehnder Lea read, "'Twitter Doctors' Lists Medical Kings of Social Media."

Silly me, I got all excited, certain I was about to read all about how I'd been anointed without even knowing it had happened.

Erm, not quite.

There was no coronation because it turns out that in the Twitter Doctors scheme of things, Dr. Drew, host of "Loveline," is #1 of 1,127, with an influence ranking of 75.

My influence ranking of 17 on page 21 (top) puts me way down deep underground, where the air doesn't circulate and no light penetrates.

Oh, well.

I'll try to do better and work my way up the ladder but I'm not optimistic about my chances.

On the  brighter side, that's page 21 of 76, so I'm in the top 28%.

Lies, damned lies and statistics, yeah, I know....

Keep 'em coming, Shawn.

July 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Foot Massage Ball

34refgf

'Cause sometimes them dogz just won't stop barking.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

• Use hot or cold tap water to adjust the precision-machined metal alloy ball's temperature to your liking

• Six holes (Hydro-Flow® Technology) allow for rapid radiation of hot or cold throughout ball

• Gently roll the ball under your foot, targeting any painful spots

• 1.75"Ø

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

vdaf

July 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

U.S. Interstate Highway System in the style of H.C. Beck's London Underground Diagram

Saxdcvbn

Created by Cameron Booth, who wrote, "Drawing my cues from the original and best metro diagram, H.C. Beck's wonderful London Underground, I have rendered the Interstate system in a much simpler form. I have made the "major" highways (those divisible by 5) the framework of the map, with the "minor" highways reduced in importance and rendered as thinner grey lines. Even with these highways, a difference in the greys indicates whether they are even-numbered (west-east) or odd-numbered (north-south). Dots on the highways indicate interchanges: large dots where major highways meet other major highways, smaller dots where major meets minor and tiny dots where minor highways begin or end. A full key at the bottom indicates clearly where each highway begins and ends."

As a poster, $28–$39 depending on size.

[via Milena]

July 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Energy-Generating Soccer Ball

500x_socketball

From Bloomberg BusinessWeek: "Kicking a sOccket soccer ball for 15 minutes produces enough power to light an LED bulb for three hours — just plug the lamp into its socket. The developers, four friends from Harvard, have drummed up $40,000 to run pilot programs in South Africa, Liberia, and Nigeria, and plan to have sOccket on the market for playing and plugging in months. Besides providing electricity, sOccket may reduce the use of fume-emitting kerosene lamps."

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0133f292a6bc970b-500wi