« September 20, 2010 | Main | September 22, 2010 »

September 21, 2010

Trees photographed in infrared

Infrared-tree-photo

The Wood effect

Infrared-tree-original

makes tree leaves and grass

Infrared-tree-lake

as reflective

Infrared-tree-lake-2

as snow

Infrared-tree-white

when photographed

Infrared-tree-candy

in infrared.

[via Treehugger and Nuclear Toast]

September 21, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Jar Lamp

968-architecture-design-muuuz-jars-james-shaw-lampe-2

British designer James Shaw's lampshades

968-architecture-design-muuuz-jars-james-shaw-lampe-1

made from glass jars finely sandblasted

968-architecture-design-muuuz-jars-james-shaw-lampe-4

and lids drilled to take standard

968-architecture-design-muuuz-jars-james-shaw-lampe-3

light fittings.

[via Muuuz]

September 21, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"Purple Haze" — Kronos Quartet

Performed at the ICA in 1988.

FunFact: this music was also used as the introduction to David Bowie's "Glass Spider" tour in 1987.

Somewhere Jimi Hendrix is smiling.

[via clifyt]

September 21, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Duct-Taped Carpets

Schuin1 lo-res

A 2009 design by Netherlands-based Bertjan Pot who wrote,

Schuinhoek4 lo-res

"The duct-taped carpets were first made for the Shared Space Exhibition in a tent, already two years ago now."

Recht3 lo-res

"Whenever I find a good rug that I think I can improve with some duct tape colors, I buy it and mangle it in this way."

Rechthoek1 lo-res

"The duct tape is melted into the textile so it won’t come off when using it as a carpet."

September 21, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

3outube —

Fghjkl
.....................................................

Wrote joehead Graeme in a comment on last week's SaveYouTube.com post, "... just use 3outube.com. Navigate to the video you want and replace the "y" in "youtube" with "3" and away you go!"

Free, the way we like it.

My crack research team was able to successfully follow the three steps above.

That's the good news.

The bad news: "Done" is not quite done.

What do you mean, joe?

When I tried to play the video so teasingly displayed on my desktop (below),

I got the following message:

Oh, well.

Fortunately for you, TechnoDolt™-level capability cannot be contracted by viewing a computer screen whose contents were created by by someone of that ilk.

As far as we know.

Fair warning.

September 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

A Date With Wine

Asdfsghf

Designed by New York-based George Lee, it's a stainless steel wine stopper with rubber "O" rings that tells you when you opened the bottle.

The top of the device has a twistable date ring.

2.79"H x 0.85"Ø.

Sadfasgf

$45.

September 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

"Only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness" — John D. Voelker aka Robert Traver

Sdfghjk

Yesterday's post on the University of New Hampshire's course on fly fishing elicited a wonderful comment, an extensive excerpt from which follows.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

... the most important quote possible comes from John D. Voelker a/k/a Robert Traver (Michigan attorney and judge, author of "Anatomy of a Murder" and "Anatomy of a Fisherman"):

Testament of a Fisherman

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and I hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip;

because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and,

finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (From "Anatomy of a Fisherman" by Robert Traver)

September 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

ACTUAL SIZE! Stickers

Ghjgkhgfddgh

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This sticker pack contains 15 "ACTUAL SIZE!" stickers, five each of 1", 2", and 3" stickers.

80% of public advertisements would be greatly improved by an "ACTUAL SIZE!" claim, from 8.5" x 11" "Regina Spektor Live In Concert!" flyers to ten-foot PS3 banners to airline ads in the subway with pictures of 747s — you know what to do.

The stickers are a matte finish that blends in pretty well with anything, and they are removable if necessary.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••