« September 28, 2010 | Main | September 30, 2010 »

September 29, 2010

"Quantations" to be an e-book? Real soon now

Quantations Cover

I recently received the following from a reader: "iUniverse [is] one of the largest book publishing companies in the U.S.... Customers who have an existing book published by iUniverse can add the e-book format for $99."

"Where do I sign up?" was my first thought.

I've wished my 2002 book (top) was available on Kindle, Nook, and Sony Reader et al since these devices became popular.

So I tried my very best to give iUniverse my $99 and get with the program.

Not so fast, joe.

Turns out that since I submitted my manuscript in late 2001, the electronic format iUniverse used back then has been superseded by another that's unable to deal with the old files.

Long story short: they'll be happy to publish "Quantations" as an e-book.

Except that it has to be reformatted from scratch.

That'll be $574, please.

Seeing as I receive 50% of the purchase price, that means if the e-book goes for $10 I'd have to sell 125 copies to break even.

Like Jack Benny said when the stick-up guy said to him, "Your money or your life?": I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

September 29, 2010 at 04:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

"Take me out to the ball game" — free tonight in Tampa

Screen adfsgshot 2010-09-29 at 2.31.09 PM

The Tampa Bay Rays, who last night clinched a playoff spot before an announced crowd of 17,891, are giving away 20,000 tickets to tonight's 7:10 p.m. game with Baltimore in an attempt to put a little noise into Tropicana Field.

Star player Evan Longoria recently called the team's feeble attendance "embarrassing" and 19-game-winner David Price tweeted late Monday evening (top) about his disdain for the home town fans-in-absentia.

September 29, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Ephemeral Stencils: Salt — by Amandine Alessandra

Salt_stencils

Wrote the artist, "While staying in Canada last winter, I became curious about the side effects of salt being used on snowy roads, then dumped along with tons of snow in the nearest river. After laying a stenciled word on the grass, I covered it with salt, and then removed the paper. What was left was the word always neatly traced in the grass by the white crystals, bound to melt and disappear."

"For weeks, I regularly went back to the site to photograph the evolution of the letterform. I noted that as the salt letters were slowly fading away, the grass surrounding it started to die, burnt by the sodium, leaving a well defined scare in the green surface, where I don’t expect anything to grow for a while."

Salt_stencils2

"It seems that although the word disappeared, the mark will always be there, unlike the grass which will never grow again."

September 29, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Spread Your Love

Love01

From designboom: "'Spread Your Love' by Hamed Kohan from Iran is one of the shortlisted design entries from more than 3,000 participants in our recent designboom competition, 'Seoul Cycle Design 2010'...."

Love02

[via 9GAG]

September 29, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

The one line of code every commenter should know

Wefrg

...............................

Pamela Daley sent me a link to this page.

September 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Indoor Fireworks Projector

Not up for the crowds and mosquitos?

Your ship just came in.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

From Sega Toys, the Uchiage Hanabi is a fireworks projector that uses 5 projection lenses to blast moving and animated exploding fireworks all over your walls and ceiling.

It even tracks the rocket from launch to explosion, so you can watch it just like a real show.

Using the included projection plates, you can make a full fireworks show, complete with sounds, that is never rained out and can be shown year round.

In addition, you can even create your own fireworks by drawing on special plates. Anything is possible!

The unit itself is stylish and looks great in any room.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

$89.

September 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

"What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets"

WIECoverIso

Wrote Rachel Saslow in yesterday's Washington Post review, "Husband-wife duo Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio traveled to 30 countries, taking pictures (Menzel) and interviewing people (D'Aluisio) about their diets. The large, glossy, fascinating book is organized by one day's calorie intake: It starts with a cattle herder in Kenya who consumed only 800 calories (cornmeal porridge, mostly) and ends with a London woman who had just kicked a methamphetamine addiction and binged on 12,300 calories worth of food. We find out that a 400-pound sumo wrestler in Japan consumes fewer calories (at least that day) than an 18-year-old student in Venezuela. New York University nutrition professor Marion Nestle writes in the foreword, 'The stories in this book illustrate the unwelcome transition from traditional foods to processed junk foods as globalization expands.'"

Post columnist Jennifer LaRue Huget's September 23, 2010 story goes much deeper into the book.

September 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

ShotShell — Stainless Steel Shotglass

MadeByAmmo-ShotShell-5-Square-600x600_large

• Weighs more than one quarter-pound (4.3 oz./122 g)

• Textured knurled base for easy gripping when wet

MadeByAmmo-ShotShell-4-Square-600x600_large

• Holds one standard shot (1.5 fluid oz./44 ml)

• Machined from a bar of solid stainless steel

MadeByAmmo-ShotShell-3-Square-600x600_large