« "Take me out to the ball game" — free tonight in Tampa | Home | What are they? »

September 29, 2010

"Quantations" to be an e-book? Real soon now

Quantations Cover

I recently received the following from a reader: "iUniverse [is] one of the largest book publishing companies in the U.S.... Customers who have an existing book published by iUniverse can add the e-book format for $99."

"Where do I sign up?" was my first thought.

I've wished my 2002 book (top) was available on Kindle, Nook, and Sony Reader et al since these devices became popular.

So I tried my very best to give iUniverse my $99 and get with the program.

Not so fast, joe.

Turns out that since I submitted my manuscript in late 2001, the electronic format iUniverse used back then has been superseded by another that's unable to deal with the old files.

Long story short: they'll be happy to publish "Quantations" as an e-book.

Except that it has to be reformatted from scratch.

That'll be $574, please.

Seeing as I receive 50% of the purchase price, that means if the e-book goes for $10 I'd have to sell 125 copies to break even.

Like Jack Benny said when the stick-up guy said to him, "Your money or your life?": I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

September 29, 2010 at 04:31 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "Quantations" to be an e-book? Real soon now:

Comments

What they said....

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Sep 30, 2010 12:05:53 AM

Scanning my copy in....good idea, clifyt! If ya wants it done, I can do it with my copy Joe. What format do the luddites at iUniverse wish to receive it in? Lemme know

Posted by: Matt Penning | Sep 29, 2010 11:10:29 PM

I haven't read this Quantations book. If/when I start living quantumly, will I be all enlightened and happy and all? It's a good thing, this living the quantum life? You got any testimonials - life before vs life after taking the quantum plunge? I just need to know what I might be getting into, here.

Posted by: Flautist | Sep 29, 2010 10:07:06 PM

I'm honored to "know" you, Dr. Joe. My copies are on order.

Posted by: Kay | Sep 29, 2010 9:58:27 PM

Options:

1. Send the money to me; or
2. Flush it down the toilet; or
3. Purchase a frying pan and put in under the sofa and pretend you returned it

I vote Option # 3.

Posted by: Caroline | Sep 29, 2010 9:06:08 PM

Try to negotiate a deal with iUniverse Joe.

What if you'd be willing to meet them in the middle, somewhere around $250 - $275 mark?

I imagine the Legion of Joeheads would make this a break even siutuation within the end of this year.

(Every ebook sold afterwards would be gravy for Humphrey >^''^<

Posted by: Jesse | Sep 29, 2010 6:21:55 PM

Or you can do it for free if you have the source files.

Hell, I could probably scan my copy in and get it done cheaper than iUniverse...well...except I'm lazy.

Posted by: clifyt | Sep 29, 2010 4:49:09 PM