« October 13, 2010 | Main | October 15, 2010 »

October 14, 2010

John Cage on "I've Got a Secret"

His 1960 performance of "Water Walk" charmed the audience from the get-go; when the host, Garry Moore, said that some viewers might laugh at him, the composer replied, "I consider laughter preferable to tears."

October 14, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

my t cozy

Dgfhjvkl;'jhgfjkl;

By the ever-whimsical and inventive Tara.

All manner of other stuff by her at her Etsy shop.

October 14, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pollen grains as seen by a scanning electron microscope — Episode 2

Episode 1 appeared on August 23, 2010.

From The Telegraph: "A Swiss scientist named Martin Oeggerli, who uses the name "Micronaut" for his art, uses a scanning electron microscope to capture images of pollen grains."

From the top down: 1) pollen from an Albizia (also known as the silk tree); 2) pollen from a forget-me-not (this flower has one of the smallest known grains of pollen: just five one-thousandths of a millimeter in diameter); 3) acanthus pollen; 4) the grey granules are pollen from Viburnum tinus (snowball plant); 5) Pistia pollen; 6) birch pollen; 7) lily pollen; 8) pollen from a Venus flytrap.

[via Milena]

October 14, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Contractor Pen

Contractorspacepen-1

Level and plumb bubbles, drywall and angle gauges, ruler, magnetic strip and Fisher Space Pen.

7" long.

October 14, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

A note on comments

ANONYMOUS+COMMENTS

In my ongoing effort to get more of you to chime in for any reason whatsoever, or even no reason at all except you're bored/annoyed/what have you, note the following: you need not fret about spelling/syntax/punctuation/grammar/wrong word/etc. — I will fix any errors as best I can in my ongoing effort to make you look as smart and clever as you are.

And remember that, unlike Reuters and its ilk, anonymous comments are cheerfully published without any screening whatsoever.

The best time to put up something hateful is when I'm asleep, roughly midnight to 8 a.m.; after I wake up and have my tea (Earl Grey) and cookies (Lorna Doone) and see what came in overnight, that's when I eliminate self-serving, over-the-top-in-a-bad-way and commercially-driven comments that came in while Gray Cat and I were dreaming.

Comments_administrate_sh_01

But you do have that eight-hour window where the parents are out of town, as it were, and you can party down.

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (16) | TrackBack

"Key Hidden Here" Doormat

Hiddenmat

From $24.95.

[via GEARFUSE and Cary Sternick]

October 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

"Shopping Fever" — by Karl Lagerfeld

In his spare time the über-designer makes movies that shed a whole new light on product placement.

[via Sarah Leon and the New York Times]

October 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

I am having an out of money experience

Hjk