« Early Piero Fornasetti scarf | Home | Crime Scene Tape — Episode 2: Price Break »

October 5, 2010

BehindTheMedspeak: 15 things you didn't know about the human tongue

Tongue

[via medicalinsurance.com and Nuclear Toast]

October 5, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak: 15 things you didn't know about the human tongue:

Comments

Tonguemaster, I have a question. From the tip to what point are we measuring each tongue? The longest tongue is reported to have been measured from the tip to "the back". Hmm. Define "back". Someone who is more adept at unreeling his might seem to have a longer tongue, but doesn't actually, than someone who is less able to expose the whole thing, but does, surely? Aren't these measurements kind of arbitrary and inexact? And width, too. Same thing. Anyone with moderate tongue control can flatten & widen it like a flounder or narrow it like an arrowhead. These tongue size facts are not precise enough for this reader.

Posted by: Flautist | Oct 6, 2010 12:32:57 PM

I am of the opinion that your research team needs to do a bit of their own observation of tongue length. My tongue is more than 3.25" [I'm female]. Hmmm...

Posted by: mrscharlemagne | Oct 6, 2010 11:04:46 AM

Somehow I find this mildly erotic

Posted by: megan | Oct 6, 2010 2:04:41 AM

Very humnorous little cartoon there, illustrating the "cat got your tongue" origin. I laffed BIG!
All ur tung r belong tu me!

Posted by: Flautist | Oct 5, 2010 8:09:03 PM

Nice posting 6'2"!

I also think Gene Simmons, and his son Nick, have larger tongues than what we were seeing on the illustration.

Posted by: Jesse | Oct 5, 2010 5:40:00 PM

the different taste buds in different zones on the tongue has been disproved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_bud#Localization_of_taste_and_the_human_.22tongue_map.22

Posted by: jo | Oct 5, 2010 5:27:16 PM

what do you call that 25 cm appendage that Gene Simmons sports? A foot? http://bit.ly/9gT6D4

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Oct 5, 2010 5:06:56 PM

Recent findings also show that it detects the taste of metals...

Posted by: clifyt | Oct 5, 2010 4:33:53 PM