« Earth Watch | Home | Transparent Paper Punch »

November 1, 2010

Goldilocks and picture size on bookofjoe

Sfdgf

Yesterday I received the following email from David Bogner, grand panjandrum of Treppenwitz: "Hi Joe. Just a note to let you know that posts like this get cut off (on the right) when viewed on the iPad. Being that you're a user, I figured you'd want to know. Still love your site. Regards, David"

He's right, and this problem has vexed me since I took delivery of my iPad in April of this year.

Anything larger than 600 pixels wide gets cut off due to the iPad's maximum width of 1,024 pixels and the built-in structure of bookofjoe with its right-sided sidebars.

Short of having someone create a bookofjoe app which would improve its rendering on the iPad (and smartphones), I guess it's either accept the truncated photos or make them smaller from the get-go, limiting them to 600 pixels wide when published, with the option to click and make them much larger.

Since it's as obvious to me as the nose on my face that more and more people are going to be accessing boj on small screens, I think I'll forego the pleasure I take in seeing those giant 1,200 or 1,400-pixel-wide photos on my iMac's spectacular 27", 2,560 screen and tailor things better for the small screen.

And maybe I'll give some more thought to that app....

It's also true that if I could compose bookofjoe on my iPad, it's very unlikely this would even be an issue, because I'd see what was going up as it happened and wouldn't tolerate a cut-off photo.

Maybe with the software update scheduled for this month, which includes multitasking, I can actually do that.

I'll most certainly try.

Of course, putting a Retina display on the iPad would also resolve things in a Cupertino minute.

But even with the Retina display's 960 pixels on the iPhone, that 600-wide pixel limit on photos would have to be in force to let iPhone joeheads see the whole image as posted.

November 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Goldilocks and picture size on bookofjoe:

Comments

Hi, Joe,

You could also switch to a different layout for your blog. Do you really need the content in that right-hand column? Just have it all in one column, and stick the about/contact info in the header or footer.

Posted by: joshwa | Nov 4, 2010 7:36:00 PM

Hey Joe - have you tried Typepad's "Blogit" bookmarklet? It automagically resizes pics to be 500 pixels wide, which is perfect for my 3-column layout.

Posted by: mark | Nov 2, 2010 12:09:37 PM

I often find the right side of an image missing. I'm also on a PC, using Firefox.

Posted by: MsRadoo | Nov 2, 2010 9:14:51 AM

Guys,

I can't help it, I cannot figure out what should be cut off, as you say. On my iPad it is always scaled as needed. I see the Website over the full width (Safari), and when I doubletap the text part it is zoomed. Most of the time I'm using Reeder anyway.
I'm confused. Still love both of your sites.

Kurt.

Posted by: Kurt | Nov 1, 2010 6:32:42 PM

Horse puckey!

Stay with the big pictures Joe!

How in the world can you appreciate detailed, creative, meant for

"in your face" picture on a mini computer?

Take your cracker jacks mini-toys to work, not for BOJ!

Now, where did I put my meds?

Posted by: Joe Peach | Nov 1, 2010 4:46:37 PM

"grand panjandrum of Treppenwitz"

I am so using that as one of the blurbs on the dust cover of my first book!

Posted by: treppenwitz | Nov 1, 2010 3:30:53 PM

Major cropping on my PC... using Opera, and my screen resolution is 1024 x 768.

The major problem is the bar on the far right of the screen which is set for a fixed resolution, regardless of browser window size.

Posted by: Rocketboy | Nov 1, 2010 12:53:45 PM

I wonder if this could be fixed with a custom CSS file for iPad users? If you have access to the HTML, I might be able to cook something up...

Then again, on the iPad, I simply use PULSE and it is fine in that news reader!

Posted by: clifyt | Nov 1, 2010 12:51:42 PM

No cropping on the MacBook Air.....

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 1, 2010 12:48:25 PM