« December 12, 2010 | Main | December 14, 2010 »

December 13, 2010

Living Earth HD — Live 3-D simulation of our pale blue dot

Less dark no clouds

Great iPad/iPhone app by Moshen Chan.

Priced to sell at 99 cents.

Fedgfhhmj

My favorite feature is the night view of our planet without bright clouds [top], which I like to have centered on my Podunk town as the terminator makes its way across the screen.

Below, with bright clouds.

Less dark more clouds

Even better is that Moshen promised to make that screen even more compelling by offering the option to eliminate everything but the Earth.

You could read our correspondence (below)

Gbhj

if you don't believe me.

December 13, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Maze Pen

E274_mazepen

"OK, everybody turn their phones and BlackBerrys off."

Now what're you gonna do to keep yourself from falling asleep during the meeting?

This could be just the ticket.

"It's a simple pen with a maze inside. Rotate the pen to help the ball find a way through."

E274_maze_pen_detail

December 13, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Exactly how big is Africa?

Africa

From Krulwich Wonders: "Africa is so big, you can pack in all of the U.S., all of China, the enormity of India and every bit of Europe and still have room for Japan at the lower right."

Map by designer Kai Krause and Information is Beautiful.

[via Richard Kashdan]

December 13, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Glowing Keyboard Stickers

D77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers

"These highly reflective stickers use any ambient light source (like your monitor) to 'light up' the keys. They do not glow in the dark."

D77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers_sheet

I think I'm gonna get a set for my iPad keyboard dock.

D77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers_inuse

December 13, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

ReversePhoneLookup.com

Aesrtdyfhgj

It is what it says.

From the website: "Reverse phone number searches can be done for both cellphones and landlines, however, cellphones can be much more difficult for us to identify. When a match is found, you will be able to see the first and last name of the owner, where the number was registered, the address of the owner, a map of their location and more."

Free, the way we like it.

[via Joe Peach]

December 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Wristband Charger

234trere

Wear your power.

Ceca_wrist_charger_gaming

"Battery charger in a wearable wristband lets you charge your batteries while using your device."

Ceca_wrist_charger_inhand

Power cellphones, MP3 players, gaming systems, or any device compatible with mini USB.

Ceca_wrist_charger_ondesk

December 13, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

bookofjoe (Kindle Edition) — Episode 2: In search of a few good subscribers

Constant readers will recall that Amazon began offering bookofjoe on Kindle in June, 2009.

I haven't noticed any fat checks from Amazon coming in since then so I figured uptake must've been rather, shall we say, minimal.

I finally decided to investigate last week and after a lot of effort learned how to access my Kindle account and see just what gives in the money department.

Ertegfh

Turns out I have four (4) current subscribers (thank you Milena, Rick, Joel, and the unknown-to-me individual rounding out my Kindle posse).

They each pay $1.99/month which results in a monthly income stream to me — based on the 30% royalty Amazon pays to publishers (more on that in a minute) — of about $2.40.

But wait, there's more.

I chose to be paid by check rather than electronic funds transfer.

The minimum payment is $10 electronically but "you must have a minimum accrual of $50 to be paid by check."

Do the math: $2.40/month x 18 months = $43.20.

And that's an inflated number since I've not had four subscribers all along; the first few months there were "only" one or two.

At this rate I'll be receiving my first check sometime next summer.

But good news, just in: as of December 1, 2010 Amazon increased its payout to blog publishers from 30% to 70%.

So it might be spring.

December 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Wall Crack Decals

Home 2

"Once considered an eyesore, minor flaws will become an idyllic paradise with a little help from strategically placed birds, leaves, flowers and insects."

10.5 x 27.5cm (4" x 11") sheet.

$6 CAD (Home Accessories page 2).

December 13, 2010 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack