« December 21, 2010 | Main | December 23, 2010 »

December 22, 2010

F. Scott Fitzgerald reads John Keats' "Ode to a Nightingale"

[via Open Culture]

December 22, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Rocking Horse Italian Scooter

Scooter-rocking-horse-600x450

zoom Zoom ZOOM!

Il_fullxfull.125770382

Handmade from steel, aluminum and fiberglass.

Scooter-rocking-horse_4

Working lights and klaxon.

Scooter-rocking-horse_3

35"L x 20"H.

Scooter-rocking-horse_2

$2,000.

[via Randommization]

December 22, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Write like Leonardo da Vinci

Da-vinci-helicopter

"Try mirror writing (from left to right with flipped letters) like left-handed Leonardo."

December 22, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

What is it?

Gerqsatg

Answer here this time tomorrow.

December 22, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

Take Control of Working with Your iPad — by Joe Kissell

Lrg

I'm always up for anything that promises to make my interaction with technology easier so this book seemed a no-brainer, as my Holy Grail since the iPad came out in April has been to be able to post to bookofjoe seamlessly from the device.

Besides which I just know there are all sorts of things the iPad's capable of that I will never discover on my own.

Sure enough, a number of those heretofore hidden secrets were unmasked in this slim (116 pages) book.

Among the tips and facts:

• Do not confuse the iPad with a computer. It is not a computer and wasn't intended to act as one. This will eliminate angst about not being able to do everything you can do with a computer.

• Take it everywhere, even when you think there's no reason to do so because you won't be using it. You'll be surprised — and pleased — when you find out you were wrong.

• You can save and send graphics from web pages with a single touch, something I had no idea of before reading it in this book.

• There are all sorts of keyboard Easter eggs you that let you do things you can't do even with a full-fledged computer.

Alas, I still can't post to bookofjoe from my iPad, through no fault of the device or this book: it's a TypePad thing.

The book costs $10, which includes access to a blog featuring updates and extras.

Full disclosure: the publisher (O'Reilly) emailed me and asked if I'd review one of their books; I said show me what's available.

This one seemed appropriate for my TechnoDolt™ skill set; they then let me download it for free and I read and reviewed it.

December 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Rib Hoodie by Alexander Wang

Zzzzzz

Cotton hoodie with French rib, gold front zip,

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0148c6f2aa50970c-600wi

overlapping ribbed edge layers in back.

"Model is 5'11" and is wearing size small."

Heather Grey, Black or White.

$185.

I love how they specify the model's height and hoodie size; this practice should be adopted yesterday by all garmento websites.

December 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

DuckDuckGo —

Nduck.v105

With a name like that it better not be funded by AFLAC.

But I digress.

It's a new search engine that "does not collect browsing history or any personal identifiable information," according to Jenna Wortham's December 19, 2010 New York Times Business section story.

All manner of features here.

There's a separate page for their !Bang innovation, which is so far above my TechnoDolt™ pay grade my eyes watered as I scrolled down the page.

I've been using DuckDuckGo for the past couple days on my iPad and find it has some nice features, such as bringing to the top of the page — above the fold, as it were — interesting links which might not jump out of a long list of retrieved algorithmic best fits.

Free, the way we like it.

December 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

LED watch from an alternate universe

Storm_faze_led_watch

From Retro Thing : "Have you ever wondered what digital timepieces would look like without the invention of 7-segment numeric displays? The Storm Faze provides the answer by incorporating discrete LEDs — lots of them — to show the time. It features stainless steel construction and an old-school time/date display. It's also water-resistant to a depth of 50 meters to ensure it'll remain functional long after your accidental drowning. Or something."

From Technabob: "The Storm Faze watch features a unique dot-matrix LED display, concealed behind a plastic lens that sort of reminds me of the compound eye of an insect."

Red, Slate or Silver.

Paul Biba, you can stand down now, before you read the rest.

Storm_faze_led_watches

They have returned to their alternate universe after touching down in late 2008 on the Storm website, at which time they cost $179.

How's that wormhole workin' for ya?

December 22, 2010 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack