« Disney Roller Eraser Set | Home | What can you make with this? »

December 6, 2010

9 limited-edition foods with cult followings

Rtgthyjm,

Wrote Brynn Mannino in a December 1, 2010 post on Shine.com: "Did you hear? For the first time in nearly 16 years, the McRib [top] is available at every McDonald’s in the U.S.! Until recently, the BBQ pork sandwich was only available for limited periods at select locations, inspiring websites for fans to track the beloved menu item down. But the McRib is not alone in its cult status."

"[There] are [other] limited-edition foods that elicit cravings in legions of fans. Whether they're released only once a year like Girl Scout cookies, or celebrate a specific season like Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte, get the facts on some of your favorite foods that are available for a limited time only."

[via Joe Peach who wrote, "I am guilty of four of these, and probably the rest if I tried (or they were available)!" Joe, not "guilty" — proud! As the great ballerina Allegra Kent wrote in her autobiography (admittedly in another context entirely, i.e., regarding finally gaining control of her weight: "The secret is to be proud of everything you eat." Me, I'm proud of every McRib I've ever eaten AND the one I'm driving down to McDonald's to order as soon as I complete this post]

December 6, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 9 limited-edition foods with cult followings:

Comments

Here in lovely downtown Germany, McRib is a permanent fixture on the menu.

I'm more a "Royale with Cheese" kind of guy, so I have failed to understand the hipness/cult of the McRib.

I prefer to spend 14 hours doing my own pulled pork anyway... ;)

Jake

Posted by: Uncle Jake | Dec 8, 2010 5:22:09 AM

As always, she cuts through it like a hot knife named Gordy. Or was it Mack? I can never remember, it was so long ago....

Posted by: bookofjoe | Dec 7, 2010 8:57:51 PM

Just buy some vanilla ice cream, Breyer's or something, dish up a generous heaping bowl (as I know you all will), pour a bunch of actual egg nog on it, stir it up really well, smush & mix the egg nog into the ice cream, stick it back in the freezer (covered), wait a bit and *boom* - egg nogg ice cream. Yum! Don't forget the nutmeg & whipped cream. If you use quality nog, that tastes lots better than the egg nog ice cream, whatever the brand.

Posted by: Flautist | Dec 7, 2010 8:55:18 PM

Great suggestion Tamra!

Usually when I pull in McToysRUs I am on a mission and never think outside the bun.

How cosmopolitan, dipping a McRib!

Posted by: Joe Peach | Dec 7, 2010 6:51:15 PM

Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake Ice Cream
Kozy Shack rice pudding rules.

Posted by: Becs | Dec 7, 2010 6:03:51 PM

I, too, love that McRib. It's even better though, with the sauce on the side, where I can control the portion to be slathered or spread on, rather than having a sugary pork soup-sauce sandwich. It does take some getting used to the "greyness" of the meat, but heck, it's mystery meat anyway, so it's worth getting past it. The onions make it.

Posted by: tamra | Dec 7, 2010 1:30:05 AM

Egg Nog Iced Cream?!?!?!?!?!?!? Really? I've never heard of it... But... I can has?

Posted by: BubbleGirl | Dec 6, 2010 5:23:04 PM