« February 9, 2011 | Main | February 11, 2011 »

February 10, 2011

"Ford Sues Ferrari Over Use of F150 Name"

Say what?

Above, the headline of today's BBC News report about Ferrari naming its new Formula race car (top) the F150.

Long story short: "Ford argued that the use of the name detracts from its own F150 (below) brand of best-selling pickup trucks."

"It also said the Ferrari F150 logo looked similar to its own F150 logo."

Ford needs to wake up and smell the petrol.

If Ferrari names its next supercar bookofjoe, do you think I'm gonna flush my lawyerbots out of their hidey-hole waving a cease-and-desist?

Not likely.

Rather, I'll be racing for my checkbook and asking Ferrari to whom I should make it out and for how much.

Note to Ford: when a brand that's better than you copies you — whether inadvertently or intentionally — you say, "Thank you, can I have some more please?"

Like you could really mistake one for the other....

February 10, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

World's largest gummi bear — Episode 2: No stick

Giant-gummi-bears

Some readers will recall a post of July 21, 2010 headlined "Giant Gummi Bear on a Stick."

Others will have forgotten it, while most will never have heard of it.

No matter.

Now comes this monster of the sweet tooth midway weighing in at 4.5 pounds, the equivalent of 1,400 regular-sized gummi bears.

For comparison, last year's entry weighed a mere half-pound and was equivalent to 88 regular-sized bears.

Does YaYa Chou (creator of the magnificent Gummi Bear Chandelier) know about this?

$30.95 in your choice of Cherry, Blue Raspberry, Orange, Pineapple, Grape, Lemon, or Sour Green.

[via CSYCB]

February 10, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Lady Gaga x Vogue

6a00e54ef9645388340147e2786b97970b-800wi

Photographed for the March 2011 issue by Mario Testino.

What took so long?

She tweeted on Saturday, "They used to call me rabbit teeth in school. And now I'm a real live VOGUE BEAUTY QUEEN!"

[via Fashion Copious and Todayshow.com]

February 10, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Sori Yanagi Ice Cream Spoon

Wert

Praised as a "Super Normal" object by Jasper Morrison and Naoto Fukasawa.

Wonderful for custard, pudding and yogurt as well.

Trust me on this: I've had mine for years.

Stainless steel.

Apiece, $10.

February 10, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Word Nerd — Times of London rates your Twitter vocabulary

Asdfghjkj

Well, what are you?

Only one way to find out.

Free, the way we like it.

February 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

World's first GPS-enabled goggle

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0148c87df668970c-600wi

"A tiny screen embedded in the polarized and light-adjusting lens displays GPS metrics such as location, speed, and distance traveled."

[via Bloomberg BusinessWeek]

February 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Chipmunk at 400 frames per second

47 seconds (18,800 frames) of warm and fuzzy.

[via hipmunk]

February 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Quick and dirty indoor weather sealing tape

51bxduZvWDL._SL500fg_AA300_

Seals cracks in and around doors and windows.

My solid wood front door for many years has had two vertical cracks each about two feet long.

I've tried many times to seal them with all manner of materials — putty, silicone sealant, caulk, you name it — but within months the cracks reopen.

I happened on this tape somewhere and bought a roll.

Problem solved.

Goes on just like Scotch tape and is pretty much invisible on the door.

A heckuva lot easier than the old seal-and-repaint routine.

Cheaper and faster, too.

What's not to like?

1.5-inch-wide x 30-foot-long roll: $4.09.

February 10, 2011 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack