« March 25, 2011 | Main | March 27, 2011 »

March 26, 2011

Chris Eckert's CNC Auto Ink Tattoo Machine

Eckert is an artist in San Jose, California.

[via Fancy]

March 26, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Casio Women's Pop Tone Watch

Better not think about it for too long 'cause these will be gone in no time.

$23.96 (scroll down for Black and Red iterations).

[via Svpply]

March 26, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

651 red-and-white quilts

There's only one place in the world you can see them: at the Park Avenue Armory in New York City, through next Wednesday (March 30, 2011).

Excerpts from James Barron's March 24, 2011 New York Times story about how Joanna S. Rose, now 80, amassed her unique collection, begun in the late 1950s, follow.

Pictured above and below, quilts from the collection.

Admission, by the way, is free, the way we like it.

..........................

The first thing that Joanna S. Rose said was, "I’m not a collector."

It was an interesting way to begin a conversation about 651 red-and-white quilts that she has — what? — amassed since the late 1950s.

"We used to say I’m an accumulator," said Mrs. Rose, who was the longtime chairwoman of Partisan Review magazine, "but I’m a treasure hunter. A collector is always bettering what he has. I only have accumulations of things."

It turns out that Mrs. Rose has never seen them all at once. But now she will, and so will lots of other people. From Friday through Wednesday, all 651 will be displayed.

The armory was the only place she could think of that could hold them all — specifically, the 55,000-square-foot drill hall, the eight-story home to antiques shows, art fairs and birthday galas for the likes of Brooke Astor when she was alive.

When Mrs. Rose began buying quilts, they were selling for $5 or $10 apiece: "They were undervalued," she said. "Gradually, quilts that cost me $5 or $10 went up to $15 or $20 and then $50. When they got to $150, you had to think twice."

Before long, each purchase was a test of her visual memory. "I’d see a quilt and I’d think, 'I don’t have that pattern,'" she said. She did not have a computerized index, or even photographs, and the quilts were stowed in a big cedar closet most of the time.

March 26, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Variation on a theme of Spork

Dfgh

The usual drill: an all-in-one utensil offering fork and spoon functions, but with the addition of a knife.

18/10 stainless steel.

Made in Germany.

[via Svpply]

March 26, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Human Atlas HD Lite

"With this free download you can experience just some of the power of the Blausen Human Atlas. Turn the 360° rotatable Human Body figure, see narrated 3-D animations of five common medical conditions (Asthma, Delivery, Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Hand, and Stroke) and explore a sample of the searchable 1,500+ term medical glossary and 1,200 cross-referenced, related still images."

Interesting restriction: "Courtroom use prohibited."

Free, the way we like it.

[via Richard Kashdan]

March 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Holographic Nail Polish

2duhb8

Wrote Michèle, a Dutch self-described "absolute nail polish freak," on lacquerized, "Since I've been showing you some subtle holos lately, I decided to show you this blingtastic one: Nfu Oh's number 65 [above]. Nfu Oh holographic nail polishes are really something else, I have yet to find a holo that's louder, bolder and more in your face than the ones by Nfu Oh. Even though I prefer my holos to be more scattered, subtle, I do love this extravagancy every now and then."

"When I wear this, there's no way I can stop looking at it. And apparently, I'm not the only one: on my way to work this guy stopped me to look at my nails haha! 65 is a light blue dense holo, with a powdery finish. Application is a bit weird, very smooth but also very patchy, it took me 3 coats to cover up any bald spots. These holos are still quite holo in regular lighting, how cool is that!?"

[via Amy R]

March 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Digital subscription prices visualized ("aka why the New York Times is delusional")

From Michael DeGusta's the understatement: "Here are the annual prices of a variety of services, all of which allow users to access the service from the web and across multiple devices with a single unified subscription."

Added DeGusta, "See if you can pick out which one is the outlier."

March 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Wood iPad 2 Smart Cover

6a00d8341c5dea53ef014e86f634e4970d-600wi

From TUAW: "Holland-based Miniot is about to release a beautiful wooden iPad 2 cover.

"The cover is carved from a single piece of wood and works similarly to the Smart Cover. Rather than folding into a triangular tube, the Miniot Cover rolls into a cylinder that supports the device in typing, video-watching and portrait orientations.

"The company started taking orders for the Miniot Cover yesterday (March 25), and personal engraving is included for free. At a price tag of just €50 for this gorgeous cover, Miniot is going sell a boatload. Apple's own leather Smart Cover is selling for US$69, which works out to be about the same price."

[via Disney, etc.]