« March 29, 2011 | Main | March 31, 2011 »

March 30, 2011

TIME's 140 best Twitter feeds

Asdfghjty

The list is subdivided into Authors, Business, Celebrities, Comedians, Companies, Fictional Characters, Health and Science, News Feeds, Politicians, Pundits and Commentators, Satire, Shopping and Coupons, Sports, and Technology.

Turns out I was already following 10 of the 140 before happening on the list.

Which 10?

You know me as well as anyone, take a guess or three.

Names revealed here this time tomorrow.

March 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Jeff Beck & Imelda May Band — "(Remember) Walking In The Sand"

Above, their insanely great encore featuring the Shangri-Las 1964 hit, as performed in this past Monday night's show at New York City's Beacon Theater.

March 30, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Take a [Social Security] number

Gyuio

A reader writes, "Can you believe this? Social Security numbers right in the open, for anyone to come and steal."

I put my Crack Research Team on it and they drilled down, reporting that all of the Social Security numbers belonged to people who are deceased:

Fghj

As a long-time reader of spy fiction and non-fictional memoirs of those in the field, I know that intelligence agencies build new identities by using the name of someone who died as a child as the basis for creating an entire persona, starting with applying for a Social Security number using that individual's name.

The publication of existing Social Security numbers won't interfere with such methodology.

March 30, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Neo Tea Dress

Il_570xN.216449858

Wrote creator Louise Hedley, "My vintage-inspired tea dress in a wonderful combination of a pale lavender bodice with dark grey trim, mint belt and dark grey skirt."

$130.

[via carlovely]

March 30, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Chrome 11 beta brings voice-to-text capabilities

Aa

Wrote Stan Schroeder in a March 23, 2011 post on Mashable, "Google has pushed Chrome 11 to the beta channel, bringing a couple of improvements, including the browser's ability to transcribe voice to text.

"With this new feature, users can click an icon and speak into the computer's microphone, and the browser will turn the speech into text. You can try it out at this demo page.

"The Chrome 11 beta release also brings GPU-accelerated 3D CSS, meaning develeopers can use CSS to deliver fancy 3D effects. The version also features the new Chrome icon [top right]."

March 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Salt-N-Pepa Shakers

Il_570xN.35178503

Created by Addie Gartland of Keansburg, New Jersey, who wrote, "Finally, an easy way to tell the salt from the pepper. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed for the pepper, gave it a shake, and was like, 'What the hell is this white stuff?! Sugar!? Oh! It's the salt.' Now if Pepa was there all like, 'It's me you want. Ah, push it,' I would have enjoyed many a meal more."

Asdfghjm

"Now the confusion is over for you too! Each salt and pepper shaker stands 3.75" tall and 1.5" wide. These are glass shakers with stainless steel tops. These are my own illustrations, digitally cut out of vinyl and applied by yours truly."

[via carlovely]

March 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

5-year-old Flannery O'Connor reading, circa 1930

Tumblr_lh2vkfRF4g1qzdwano1_250

According to the New Georgia Encyclopedia, O'Connor, born in Savannah on March 25, 1925, began her education in that city's parochial schools.

[via twentytwowords and Uncertain Times]

March 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: In 1961, a Soviet surgeon removed his own appendix — in Antarctica

6a00d8341c5dea53ef014e6004ae2e970c

Alexis Madrigal's March 14, 2011 atlantic.com post featured a remarkable, little-known event; excerpts follow.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

If you think House and the guy who James Franco played in "127 Hours" are tough, you haven't heard of Leonid Rogozov [top].

In 1961, Rogozov was stationed at a newly constructed Russian base in Antarctica. The 12 men inside were cut off from the outside world by the polar winter by March of that year. In April, the 27-year-old Rogozov began to feel ill, very ill. His symptoms were classic: he had acute appendicitis. "He knew that if he was to survive he had to undergo an operation," the British Medical Journal recounted. "But he was in the frontier conditions of a newly founded Antarctic colony on the brink of the polar night. Transportation was impossible. Flying was out of the question, because of the snowstorms. And there was one further problem: he was the only physician on the base."

There was no question that he'd have to operate. The pain was intolerable and he knew he was getting worse. He recorded his thoughts in his journal:

I did not sleep at all last night. It hurts like the devil! A snowstorm whipping through my soul, wailing like a hundred jackals. Still no obvious symptoms that perforation is imminent, but an oppressive feeling of foreboding hangs over me... This is it... I have to think through the only possible way out: to operate on myself... It's almost impossible... but I can't just fold my arms and give up.

Operating mostly by feeling around, Rogozov worked for an hour and 45 minutes, cutting himself open and removing the appendix. The men he'd chosen as assistants watched as the "calm and focused" doctor completed the operation, resting every five minutes for a few seconds as he battled vertigo and weakness. He recalled the operation in a journal entry:

I worked without gloves. It was hard to see. The mirror helps, but it also hinders — after all, it's showing things backwards. I work mainly by touch. The bleeding is quite heavy, but I take my time — I try to work surely. Opening the peritoneum, I injured the blind gut and had to sew it up. Suddenly it flashed through my mind: there are more injuries here and I didn't notice them... I grow weaker and weaker, my head starts to spin. Every 4-5 minutes I rest for 20-25 seconds. Finally, here it is, the cursed appendage! With horror I notice the dark stain at its base. That means just a day longer and it would have burst and....

At the worst moment of removing the appendix I flagged: my heart seized up and noticeably slowed; my hands felt like rubber. Well, I thought, it's going to end badly. And all that was left was removing the appendix... And then I realised that, basically, I was already saved.

Two weeks later, he was back on regular duty.  He died at the age of 66 in St. Petersburg in 2000.

[via Richard Kashdan and Regan Forrest]

March 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3)

Power Drill Pencil Sharpener

Tumblr_liqq1rbRQc1qz9dz7

Never use a flyswatter when a cannon will do the job just as well.

"Chuckable drill-powered pencil sharpener, fits any drill and 1-4"-shank quick-change system. Produces a fast, consistent pencil point every time."

[via carlovely]