« May 16, 2011 | Main | May 18, 2011 »

May 17, 2011

Experts' Expert: Broadway belter Sutton Foster on how to get immediate moisture in your mouth

Wrote Anthony Tommasini in a May 11, 2011 New York Times story about the singer (above), "Sometimes, when your mouth gets dry, you can bite your tongue. [Said Foster] 'You get immediate moisture in your mouth.'"

May 17, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Poison Apple Trinket Box

Il_570xN.220752708

By New York artist Michiko Shimada.

Il_570xN.220751587

Porcelain apple container in black with clear glaze accent.

Aa

2.75"H x 2.4"W with 2"Ø opening.

$25.

May 17, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

True: Gmail was once Garfieldmail

23wertg

According to Wikipedia, "Before its acquisition by Google, the gmail.com domain name was used by a free e-mail service offered by Garfield.com, online home of the comic strip 'Garfield.'"

[via aaron tang tango and designverb]

May 17, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Instant Sumo Suit — "Get big fast"

30000453-1288183994-396000we

Sounds like I'm channeling Jeff Bezos' early days — but I'm not.

For thousands of years the noble art of Sumo Wrestling has been practised in Japan. For years candidates slave and sweat under the vigilant tuition of their stable master. With a combination of speed, dexterity, a high level of balance and above all a sense of humility, Sumo wrestlers can rise to fame and fortune.

Now you too can experience the roar of the crowd (or perhaps in this case laughter) with this ludicrously funny Instant Sumo Wrestling Suit. No years of training, no binge eating, just step in and inflate, and in a matter of seconds you'll attain the bulk and stature of a mighty warrior — kind of.

This really is a superbly daft and fun costume, guaranteed to win "best costume" at any party, and with the added attraction of you being able to whip it off when you've had enough, and return to normal — as long as you remember to take off the comedy headpiece!

The Sumo Suit comes with a fan which slips into a vented pocket in the back, that at the flick of a button will inflate you to impressive proportions. The thing about a really good costume is that everybody wants a try, which is what makes this one so great, as it's easy to get on and off. Join the noble breed, and you can be sure to get more laughs than anyone else.

Features:

• Inflates in seconds

• Suitable for age 10+

• Comes with suit and hat

• 100% nylon — hand wash cold, line dry; do not iron

• Battery operated fan requires 4 AA batteries (not included)

• One-size-fits-all (unless you are already a Sumo wrestler, in which case what are you doing?)

£14.99.

10+ means half my readers are left out of the fun.

That doesn't make me happy.

But I digress.

Have you ever seen my Sumo wrestler impersonation?

You have?

That's funny — because I've never done one.

Sounds like a little reality checkage is in order, what?

May 17, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

"Is your religion your financial destiny?"

Sdfghj

How is it possible to doubt that conclusion after viewing the graphic above, which accompanied David Leonhardt's essay in Sunday's New York Times magazine?

Wrote Leonhardt, "The economic differences among the country’s various religions are strikingly large, much larger than the differences among states and even larger than those among racial groups."

"Many factors are behind the discrepancies among religions, but one stands out. The relationship between education and income is so strong that you can almost draw a line through the points on this graph."

May 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Kroil: World's best penetrating oil — "and it smells funny too"

Is the video above fo' shizzle or what?

Here is John Todd's review of Kroil Penetrating Oil as it appears in the latest edition of Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools, edited by Oliver Hulland:

Kroil is an extremely effective penetrating lubricant. Almost every professional machine shop I've been in has a bottle of this sitting prominently beside the workbench. I first saw it about eight years ago and asked the mechanic why he used it. His words are the same I now say to those who ask me: It will unstick ANYTHING.

I frequently take apart antique machinery or general equipment. There is almost always rust, grime, burned grease, metal shavings, and the wear of decades that prevent me from separating bolts from nuts and pins from holes, or keep sliding surfaces from moving. I've used every possible penetrating lubricant on the market. Some worked OK, but nothing really was "magic" until I found Kroil. Not many products make me laugh with glee. But the satisfying twist of an otherwise impossible-to-remove bolt or the turn of a shaft that was rusted solid now make me smile, all because of this little orange can.

Kroil doesn't work instantly. It takes between a few minutes and a few days (for extremely large bearing surfaces) to work its magic. I once let it sit for a week on a 300-pound flywheel that was being very stubborn, and it came right off.

Kroil is not for general lubrication purposes. It's very thin (which is part of how it works) and is not very sticky. But that's not the reason I use it; I use it to get things apart. Kroil has a weird creeping capability, it finds its way up and across metal surfaces like some sort of strange science fiction amoeba. After I use Kroil to separate things, I'll typically clean them completely (dip in mineral spirits) air-blast to remove residue, and then re-oil with a more permanent lubricant. The Kroil won't hurt anything if it stays, but I like to get a thicker material in everywhere to avoid having to fix the problem again in a few years.

It's somewhat hard to find in a retail setting. I've never seen it in a hardware store, but that doesn't mean some don't carry it. (The label on my bottle says "For industrial use only — not for retail sale," which is somewhat antiquated.) I typically get it directly from kanolabs.com, though eBay also might have some good deals. There are now several variants of Kroil including graphite and silicone, but I stick with the old-fashioned stuff since I haven't read the data enough on the other mixtures to figure out if it's worth changing.

If someone asked me what critical items I'd want for my toolbox, this would be among them. It comes at an even higher value than general-purpose sprays like WD-40. Simply put, Kroil is the most useful lubricant I know of.

8 oz.: $8.95.

Excerpt from another review:

A recent example of when I have used Kroil came when I bought an Ideal #3 Stencil machine on eBay, which is used for cutting out cardboard or paper letters and numbers for making paint stencils. I purchased the machine for $40, which is about 1/5th the normal price, because the machine was rusty and jammed [below].

IMG_0936

I took the risk because I knew Kroil would work. Indeed, when I opened up the box, the rust was pretty severe. All of the vertical punch letters were rusted in place, and the dial didn't even spin at all to change letters. I liberally dosed all of the moving component interface areas I could see with Kroil, and then started to take it apart. After an hour or so of time, I was able to get all of the moving components back into fully operational condition after slowly working them through a few gritty and then progressively smoother cycles with the Kroil finding its way into the nooks and crannies.

Even the central shaft [below]

IMG_0937

which was frozen solid with several hundred pounds of turning force, after two hours or so I was able to feel a little movement, and after another hour and some huffing and puffing I was able to get the assembly off the shaft.

May 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack