« May 30, 2011 | Main | June 1, 2011 »

May 31, 2011

Experts' Experts: YouTube stars offer advice to how to get big

Jennifer Preston's article in yesterday's New York Times offered the following tips to YouTube star wannabes:

• Send emails to at least a dozen key bloggers and ask them to post a link

• Don't forget: there is key light, front light, flood light

• Never, ever put the word sex in a title or tag

• Don't upload videos on Friday afternoons

• Surprise your audience

I'm not sure how many of these pointers Humphrey paid attention to when he uploaded his first video (top) in 2006.

Currently more than 68,000 views – with a bullet.

FunFact: Humphrey's video brings in about 10 cents every month from advertising.

Plenty of upside there, what?

The article also points out the value of having your own channel — hey, I am so there, and have been for years.

You could look it up.

May 31, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Grand Taxonomy of Rap Names Poster

"Here are 282 sobriquets from the world of rap music, arranged according to semantics. Version 1.5 contains 16 additional rappers, including KRS-One, Mos Def, and Tech N9ne."

"Each poster is hand-signed by the artists and numbered from the master edition."

nuf sed*

$25.

[via Amy]

*my rap name from the get-go. I'm surprised no one's taken it and run with it.

May 31, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

READING BOJ Bandages

Image003

Well there it is, then: my Kickstarter project, courtesy of my Pennsylvania brain trust, one Joe Peach, whose emailed image (above) was accompanied with "I hope it gives you a laugh."

I'm figuring I can find someone to print the bandages for me once I raise the money.

Questions for readers: how much for a box of 25?

And how high the money goal to begin production?

And while I'm outsourcing, who will handle the Kickstarter page?

Let's do this.

May 31, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Little Mermaid Baby Sleeper

"Handmade knitted mermaid sleeping bag complete with shell and scales detail, made from 100% lambs wool, with popper fastenings down center front for ease and comfort."

One size, to fit up to 9-12 months.

Il_fullxfull.172526862

$187.

[via miniManel]

May 31, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Duplicating house keys with a 3-D printer

What took so long?

From eclecticc:

It occurred to me recently that I had printed almost nothing actually useful on my RepRap 3D printer, aside from parts to improve on or build more RepRaps. I am rectifying that with this project. The goal here is to generate working house keys by inputing the key code of the lock into a parametric OpenSCAD model. Instead of having to explain to my landlord how I ended up with a wedge of plastic jammed in my front door, I ordered a box of (well) used locks and latches from eBay to experiment on. Luckily, the lot includes both Kwikset KW1 and Schlage SC1 locks, which are the two most commonly found in the US. I created an SC1 model to start with....  I've uploaded the KW1 model now as well.

Designing the key model was actually pretty straightforward. I measured a key with a ruler and calipers and created an approximate model of it that is reasonably easy to print. I then got pin depth specifications and parametrically differenced them out of the model. To generate new keys, you can just edit the last line of the file and enter in the key code for your key. If the code isn’t written on the key, you can measure the height of each bit and compare to the numbers in the Root Depth column on the aforementioned pin depth site. Perhaps more nefariously, you could implement something like SNEAKEY to generate key codes without physically measuring the key.

You’ll of course need OpenSCAD to edit the .scad file and generate an STL to print out, unless your key just happens to be 33172 like the example STL posted below. If it is, you can unlock the doorknob currently sitting on my desk. As a small, precise object, this is a great test of how accurate your Skeinforge settings are. You may need to adjust some thicknesses or the built in pin depth fudge factor to get it working properly with your printer. The pictures above show the key being used on a disconnected lock cylinder, but I found it was also strong enough to turn a deadbolt. If your lock needs a lot of force to turn, you may need to cut a space into the key to use a torsion wrench with it.

[via Bruce Sterling]

May 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Anchor Tub Stopper

A

4.13"Ø.

D

$4.

May 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Concussion? There's an app for that

Wrote Christian Torres in a story in today's Washington Post,

"Gerard Gioia, chief neuropsychologist at Children's National Medical Center, helped develop the Concussion Recogniton & Response application for parents and coaches."

"'This application is really built for the non-medical provider,' Gioia said in an interview, adding that it uses data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 'Heads Up' materials, which he also helped develop."

"App users answer yes-no questions about signs of a concussion, such as memory and balance problems, vomiting and confusion. There are also yes-no questions about symptoms including headache, blurry vision and sensitivity to light. The app user is alerted that there's a 'Concussion suspected' or 'A concussion is NOT suspected at this time.'"

Not free the way we like it (and the way it should be to be of real benefit) but, rather, $3.99.

May 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack