« Pillow Remote Control | Home | Human Tooth Rings »

May 3, 2011

What's the hardest language to learn for an English speaker?

110329-VOXY-HARDLANGUAGES-FINAL-WIDE

[via Milena, 22 words and Voxy]

May 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference What's the hardest language to learn for an English speaker?:

Comments

I agree about Japanese...if it weren't for the damn kanjii, I would have had that language aced. If I recall, there are only like 2 irregular verbs in the entire language...and everything else was pretty much simple to figure to out. If I needed to make up a word to get my point across, they laughed, but it was immediately understandable.

Sadly, last I spoke it was over 10 years ago and I don't even know where to begin at this point...maybe with a hot Japanese girlfriend (hmm...I think thats where I started when I was 14!)

Posted by: clifyt | May 4, 2011 11:41:23 AM

Written Korean, Hangul, is ridiculously easy to learn.

Posted by: yogahz | May 4, 2011 10:48:38 AM

Looks like the comments on Japanese apply only to the written form of the language.

Can't speak for others, but I found spoken Japanese to be quite easy to learn.

Posted by: antares | May 3, 2011 5:02:45 PM

The explication of the difficulty of learning Korean is outdated. Chinese was to Korea as French was to Europe of the 18th century -- the language of the aristocracy.

Only a handful of Chinese ideographs are used today in Korean papers, and the use is considered an ostentatious show of erudition; that is, the writer is saying, "I'm smarter than you." With each passing year, that number decreases. A generation from now, there will be none.

Posted by: antares | May 3, 2011 4:59:11 PM

Chinese is not a language. It is a family of languages and includes Mandarin and Cantonese. Last I knew, there were 28,000 identified dialects in Chinese.

Posted by: antares | May 3, 2011 4:34:48 PM

Latin, Sanscrit, ancient Greek and the northern Jersey / NYC borough dialects are also missing.....!@#$% as any kid from Bensonhurst would say.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | May 3, 2011 2:22:10 PM

Uh... why am I not seeing German?

Posted by: thelizabeff | May 3, 2011 11:26:10 AM