« Planking FAIL | Home | Experts' Expert: Durian farmer Durian Seng on how to eat a durian »

July 19, 2011

Pocket Chain Saw — Does Leatherface know about this?

Sure hope not.

Wrote Rachel Zurer in a Wired magazine story headlined "Most Dangerous Object in the Office This Month: Supreme Products Pocket Chain Saw":

"Like anyone, we like a good chain saw. They're loud. They easily slice through massive logs. They're scary as hell when paired with a leather mask. To think that all this time we were overlooking their fundamental flaw: their non-pocket ability. It's true. You really (really) don't want to carry one around in your jeans"

"Well, this significant downside has been fixed by Supreme Products. The company's super compact 4-ounce human-powered chain saw consists of a 28-inch rust-resistant steel chain studded with 124 bidirectional teeth.

"Simply wrap the chain around the object you want to bisect, stick your fingers through the metal loops on either end, move your arms back and forth like you're flossing King Kong's molars, and watch the sawdust fly."

"It's the perfect thing for getting your desk height juuuuuusst right."

In-depth user review (no, not by Leatherface) here.

July 19, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

Just make certain you aren't feeling a cop, and then you won't be arrested...

Ok...that might be wrong...I tried to feel a cop once...and she got out the handcuffs later that night...what can I say...I like a woman with hardware.

Posted by: clifyt | Jul 20, 2011 5:17:40 PM

Lenny Bruce used to say that a man could be laid out in an ambulance with his foot cut off, bleeding out, and if there was a hot-looking female nurse or doctor around, that wouldn't make any difference - he'd still be trying to cop a feel.
More corroboration, then.

Posted by: Flautist | Jul 20, 2011 3:43:56 PM

Tamra -- isn't the the device she uses to cut her bosses foot off with?

I *LOVE* that movie! I remember my friends having a hard time with it...where as I thought the lead actress was hot and well...being a man...I forgot about the gore. Its been like 10 yeas since I've seen it, but she make this Ki Ki Ki Ki noise while she is torturing the guy (I think! It might be something different...its been 10 years!) and just making the noise was enough to set one of my friends off!

I'm going to have to find this again...figure out the noise...and get one of my more asianie friends to leave him a voice message...

Posted by: clifyt | Jul 20, 2011 3:31:45 PM

OK, so it did. I'm taking a nap.

Posted by: tamra | Jul 20, 2011 2:47:25 PM

So sorry, I think my first post didn't post, making my second one nonsensical. I was thinking that this was the device used in the Japanese horror film "Audition" and was reminiscing about the haunting image it invoked. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Posted by: tamra | Jul 20, 2011 2:45:36 PM

On second thought, I think it was a wire saw, much different, but still ghastly.

Posted by: tamra | Jul 20, 2011 2:42:29 PM

One of the scariest movies I've ever seen, a Japanese horror movie called "Audition", employed the use of one of these. Just the sight of it brings back the image and makes me shudder.

Posted by: tamra | Jul 20, 2011 2:40:53 PM

The pocket saw has been a failed product forever and two days. This http://amzn.to/pv0Ofz has been my constant companion in backwoods trips for more than 30 years (I've yet to break the saw blade and, aside from keeping the blade covered with a silicone anti-rust agent in storage, it requires no maintenance). However, I just ordered this saw - and will give it a try.

I've known people whose lives were saved by fixed-blade knives and saws in the backcountry. Today comes the report of a hiker swept to his/her death over Vernal Falls in Yosemite. Downing a tree to make a bridge is preferable to drowning/falling to your death.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Jul 20, 2011 1:08:21 PM

Sounds like fun at the airport again!

Posted by: Becs | Jul 19, 2011 4:59:07 PM

Now if only there were powdered hydrofluoric acid packets...

Posted by: Tatiana | Jul 19, 2011 3:55:05 PM