« August 26, 2011 | Main | August 28, 2011 »

August 27, 2011

Joe Spector's Uzbek Food Blog

Suzma

Photos, descriptions and most important,

Katyk-yogurt-recipe

recipes for some of Joe Spector's favorite dishes.

Uzbek-mastava-soup-recipe

He writes, "I love food. I love making it and eating it. I love the cultural aspects of food. As a Soviet Union emigrant, Uzbekistan food is something I still remember and cherish from my past."

Kifta-shurva-soup-with-meatballs

Pictured from the top down: Suzma; katyk; mastava soup; kifta shurva soup with meatballs; meat pie.

Uzbek-meat-pie

[via my Crack Kraków Korrespondent Tomasz Dąbrowski]

August 27, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Ceramic Skulls

They're

from

a

2010–2011

series

by

Katsuyo Aoki

called

Screen Shot 2011-08-26 at 5.14.47 PM

"Predictive Dreams."

Here, the artist at work.

[via Hurricane Vanessa and WASTED TALENT]

August 27, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Word up: How Zite readers spread the news

Screen Shot 2011-08-27 at 11.02.36 AM

Above, an interesting graphic from Zite's blog.

Apparently CNN is buying/has bought Zite for $25 million.

Sure hope they don't mess it up because from where I'm walking on the treadmill it easily trumps Flipboard and Pulse on the iPad.

[via Ray Earhart]

August 27, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Minimalist Kitchen Scale

260468739_c57df2c243a3

What you get if you cross an iPhone with culinary aspirations.

[via Fancy]

August 27, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

What do you get when you cross Post-its with Stickies? Post-it PopNotes

Mzl.ueiozqzu.320x480-75

3M's finally twigged and after 31 years is trying to drag its Post-it notes business into the the digital era.

Mzl.fjdvjgfs.320x480-75

Wrote James R. Hagerty in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, "The conglomerate, whose thousands of products range from Scotch tape to battery components, unveiled a free [the way we like it] software application, available from Apple Inc.'s online iTunes App Store, that lets people send and receive what 3M calls Post-it PopNotes on Apple's iPhone and iPad devices. People can use the app to send scrawled or typed comments and reminders to themselves or others, the company said."

Mzl.aaorbzma.320x480-75

"The electronic notes can be set to pop up at a certain time or whenever the recipient is in a particular location found by global-positioning technology. People might set up notes that would pop up on their iPhones when they went into a grocery store, reminding them to buy milk, 3M said."

Mzl.yewodkkq.320x480-75

"The notes can be sent to particular people or broadcast to what 3M optimistically called the 'Post-it PopNotes App community.'"

Mzl.ltyvkpfv.320x480-75

Could be the next Twitter, you never know.

Better work on that name a bit first, though.

August 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Choose a location and turn it into a pendant

Wrote reader yogahz, "This site lets you get the topography of a customer-defined region on a necklace."

From the website: "Turn your favorite place or landscape into an individual silver pendant within the blink of an eye...."

Very cool.

€330.

August 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Scan your book for one dollah

1DollarScan — Send 'em your book and a buck, get back a PDF via email.

That's right: now you can send one book (up to 100 pages), your whole library, or any number of things and have them scanned for $1 apiece.

Screen Shot 2011-08-24 at 3.36.04 PM

Nice.

I'm thinking of sending 'em my latest book, then putting up photos of each page on a daily basis on Twitter for 108 days until the whole thing's there for the taking — free, the way we like it.

You never know — by day 10 or 20 a person might say this is ridiculous and buy a copy.

Stranger things have happened.

Not too often, though, judging by my my sales rank:

Screen Shot 2011-08-26 at 8.47.08 PM

But I digress.

Two bits,

Four bits.

Six bits,

A dollar.

All for a book scan

Stand up and holler.

For a minute there I thought I was back in high school on Friday night.

How's your Japanese?

[via Shawn Rossi and Singularity Hub]

August 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

World's largest 3-D TV (152") — a snip at $500,000

Testing scanner875

152 inches = 12 feet 8 inches diagonally.

I assume it comes with a crew to set it up.

How much does it weigh, I wonder?

[via Cary Sternick]