« October 8, 2011 | Main | October 10, 2011 »

October 9, 2011

"I'm Getting Arrested" — New Android app sends out word

Screen Shot 2011-10-09 at 2.55.55 PM

From the website: "Alert your lawyer, loved ones, etc. that you are being arrested with a single click."

Ss-480-1-0

"I'm Getting Arrested enables anyone, with one click, to broadcast a custom message to SMS numbers in the event they are arrested."

I wonder: Is everyone entitled to one SMS after being placed under arrest?

Free, the way we like it.

October 9, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Onomatopoeia Watch

Projects-onomatopoeia

By the late, great Tibor Kalman.

Onomatopoeia: The term used to describe words whose pronunciations suggest their meaning (eg, meow, buzz).

Here symbols suggest the sound of the numbers:

3 = tree (three)

5 = hand (5 fingers)

9 = cat (9 lives)

12 = Eggs (dozen/12)

£75.

October 9, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Jeff Bridges in the U.S. Coast Guard

Beaujeff

Who knew?

Not me, until I read about it in a September 23, 2011 Washington Post story accompanied by the photo up top.

He joined the Coast Guard Reserves at age 18 in 1968.

October 9, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

T-square hanger

Hanger-1

Created by Jennifer Rabatel who wrote, "Somehow, I have always been fascinated with this object. I can't help noticing both mechanical and aesthetic beauty in such a tool."

Hanger-3

"Designed to create and measure angles, I have used it so often that one day I used it to hang my coat and found the perfect angle for it. It became clear to me that I was looking at a very simple yet perfectly-shaped coat hanger."

Hanger-2

"The great function of this hanger is that you are able to fold it in one fine piece."

October 9, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Frank Lloyd Wright on "What's My Line?" in 1956

He was 88 at the time.

[via Open Culture]

October 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Adjustable-length HDMI cable

P28603a-3

"Can be uncoiled to full length: once uncoiled, holds its shape and does not recoil."

P28603a-2

6 feet long when extended.

P28603a

October 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World's largest photo libraries — "How many photos have ever been taken?"

Largest_photo_libraries

"Already Facebook's photo collection has a staggering 140 billion photos — that's over 10,000 times larger than the Library of Congress."

Photos_taken_by_year

[via Flavorwire and 1000memories]

October 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Sealander Amphibious Trailer

Sealander_auf_strasse_seitlich_von_hinten

Sealander_auf_wasser_mit_aussenborder

Sealander_an_land_offen_von_hinten

Innenraum_varianten

Sealander_auf_wasser_legt_an

Sealander_am_ufer_offen_von_vorn

Sealander_auf_wasser_vor_badestelle

Can they build one for you?

Apply to: info@sealander.de