« October 16, 2011 | Main | October 18, 2011 »

October 17, 2011

BehindTheMedspeak: How to sign up to be an organ donor across the U.S.

Screen Shot 2011-10-06 at 1.40.47 PM

Screen Shot 2011-10-06 at 1.40.52 PM

How to register as an organ donor, by state: organdonor.gov.

I have long believed that organ donation should be "opt out."

Instant solution for the dire shortage.

[via Virginia Postrel]

October 17, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Plugless USB Charger

"Simply flip out the power tab, insert any existing AC power plug through the tab, then plug back into a wall outlet or power strip."

Clever.

[via 7Gadgets]

October 17, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

We get email: "Pages have started to take WAY too long to load"

Loading_aqua

About 10 days ago I received the following email from joehead* JR — no, not THAT JR — in Ohio:

Mostly delayed by waiting for bits from social media domains. Love your site, but I no longer have the patience to wait 30+ seconds to be able to scroll and see other items. Maybe this "like," "+1" and other things are important to you, but not me and waiting is not my long suit. BTW, sometimes it take more than a minute to load a page.

By far the most important thing to me — second place, whatever it might be, isn't even in the rearview mirror — is keeping my readers happy and making bookofjoe a positive experience.

Becoming part of the World Wide Wait doesn't fit under that rubric.

But I must ask both JR and others, is it possible that it's not boj but, rather, your internet connection that's slow?

Or is it just boj that's loading noticeably more slowly?

I must say I haven't noticed any change in the pretty much instantaneous page loading of boj here at boj World Headquarters©™® since I added those social buttons at the bottom, but then, my download speeds are pretty fast, in the range of 25Mps, and have been for a year or so.

The more feedback I get on this, the more helpful the action I can take.

*A reader automatically becomes a joehead — you have no choice, essentially — when using the word "love" or an equivalent to describe your relationship to boj.

Loading01

October 17, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (17) | TrackBack

Reversible Scarf

91454_A2_Scarf_Roll_Up_Black-White

A 2010 design by Reiko Sudo, made in Japan.

80"L x 11"W.

Merino wool.

$85.

October 17, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

First Food Photograph Ever Taken

Oldest.jpg.html

From the New York Times: "In 1832, the French inventor Joseph Nicéphore Niépce, who was celebrated for taking the first known photograph, composed a still life [above] with what appears to be a bowl, a goblet and a piece of bread."

October 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Switch Salt & Pepper Shaker

91817_A2_Shaker_S_And_P_Switch

Flip the switch for salt or pepper.

Bottom slides open for refilling.

Designed by Chetan Sorab.

2.25"W x 1.5"D x 1.5"H.

ABS Plastic.

$14 ("Salt and pepper not included").

October 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Mark Twain filmed by Thomas Edison in 1909

From Open Culture : "Thomas Edison visited the home of Mark Twain in 1909, and captured footage of [him] walking around his estate and playing cards with his daughters, Clara and Jean. The film is silent and deteriorated. But it's apparently the only known footage of the author who gave us "Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer." Twain would die the next year.

October 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Retirement Parking Permit

9996_big

Who knows?

It might make a cop smile and save you a ticket.

October 17, 2011 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack