« November 15, 2011 | Main | November 17, 2011 »

November 16, 2011

What is the scariest movie of all time?

I concur with Redbox users who chose "The Exorcist."

Screen Shot 2011-11-16 at 2.09.26 PM

After I made a rare exception to my rule of never, ever watching scary movies, I went to see the film soon after its 1973 release and didn't sleep well — or feel safe in the shower — for weeks afterward, until the memory blessedly faded.

[via USA Today]

November 16, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Limited-Edition Hip-Stir Swizzle Sticks

Hand-cut edition of 100, signed and numbered, in five fluorescent colors, modeled on the pelvis and femur,

created by artist Matthew Hoffman for his "HEY" show at the YES Gallery in Cincinnati earlier this year.

Set of two: $20.

[via Laughing SquidColossal and The Post Family]

November 16, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Walmart in China

Walmart-map-big

Res ipsa loquitur.

November 16, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Pen Cap Eating Utensils

I first featured these wonderful accessories years ago — on January 23, 2008, to be precise — after they made a splash by winning a designboom competition.

Turned out the Italian team credited with the design may have copied a 2006 Irish design (details here) without attribution.

It's taken a while but they're finally in production.

$12.72 for a set (pen not included).

[via ThisIsWhyImBroke]

November 16, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"Rhein II" — Most expensive photograph ever sold at auction brings $4.3 million

Rhein-ii_

From yesterday's Washington Post: "The Rhine river is the subject of this 1999 photograph by German artist Andreas Gursky. Titled 'Rhein II,' the chromogenic glass-mounted color print [one of an edition of six] sold for $4.3 million at Christie's in New York City — more than $1 million more than the midpoint of Christie's estimate — making it the most expensive photograph ever sold at auction."

November 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Log Pillow

PhpThumb

Lightweight; filled with polystyrene microbeads.

412OA1MJOmL._SL500_AA300_

15" long x 6.5" diameter.

Image

$20.

November 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

PwndList — "Have your accounts been compromised? Find out."

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 3.02.20 PM

"PwnedList is a tool that allows an average person to check if their accounts have been compromised."

Screen Shot 2011-11-15 at 3.02.37 PM

Too bad none of my readers can use it.

I mean, it's a given you're all above average.

[via my Lost Angeles correspondent]

November 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Recessed Wall Outlet

316K45lZtlL

I had no idea such a thing even existed until I happened on it by chance while trolling Amazon's Tools & Home Improvement section.

Even more fun than walking up and down the aisles at Home Depot — and a lot more comfortable, what with me being in my PJs for the virtual browsing session.

But I digress.

51Qg5f53iqL

These outlets let you mount stuff like flat-screen TVs flush to the wall.

Way cool.