« Eraser Ring | Home | Voice Recorder Flash Drive »

November 25, 2011

Would you reveal company secrets for money?

According to a Monster.com survey of 4,983 website users (above), 8% replied "Yes, I've done it already."

That's seems awfully high to me.

Maybe I'm just naive.

[via USA Today]

November 25, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Would you reveal company secrets for money?:

Comments

Oh, my!

Please accept my apologies.

I chose an extreme hypo - I have nothing but respect for you and your posts.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 26, 2011 11:28:14 PM

I suggest that had you been the witness in the showers at Penn State in 2002 and as a Red-Headed graduate assistant you kept your knowledge of the crime quiet - thus protecting your job - that you would be criminally and civically liable (screw the morals, and all of those children's lives) for the acts of a monster.

Look, you have no idea who I am or what I have or have not seen and what I have or have not said. You want to take this offline, I'll be glad to. Otherwise, stop assuming you know ANYTHING about me.

Posted by: Becs | Nov 26, 2011 8:47:20 PM

Becs:
If you know, or were in a position where you should have known, of an illegal practice carried out by your employer you have two choices (in most US states and under all federal contract work) to report the crime or else expose yourself to criminal liability as an accessory. You may also be exposed to civil liability, depending upon the crime.

I think Joe's issue is "would you take the formula for Coke from the vault for personal gain?"

In many states it is a crime not to report a crime. In all states those who assist a criminal are accessories and criminally liable. In all states there is a limited duty to act to report when a crime is witnessed lest you be civically liable to the victims.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 26, 2011 1:30:16 PM

Luckily, I keep blinders on, so if any of the companies I've worked for have pulled illegal hijinx, I know nothing.

Posted by: Becs | Nov 26, 2011 11:48:56 AM

The point is: there's no space here for an ethic 'No'. It's like saying that you can't trust no one this days. Sign of the times.

Posted by: Miguel | Nov 25, 2011 10:25:41 PM

Got to agree with antares, plus what constitutes "I already did",

something as simple as gossip, or information that is not critical?

Posted by: Joe Peach | Nov 25, 2011 7:17:22 PM

The sample is self-selected. Therefore, it is not random and not representative of the population. And those who self-select often lie.

Posted by: antares | Nov 25, 2011 6:34:01 PM

I have employees and former employees reveal corporate secrets all of the time. In their depositions.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 25, 2011 4:02:39 PM