« December 7, 2011 | Main | December 9, 2011 »

December 8, 2011

Cowboy Junction Flea Market — Lecanto, Florida

Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 5.58.07 PM

Wrote Ki Nassauer, founder of Junk Revolution, in a November 29, 2011 post on Junk Camp, "I love discovering off the map flea markets! A reader and fellow junker recommended Cowboy Junction in Lecanto, Florida and I decided it was worth some research since Lecanto is an easy drive from my sister Karla's home in Ocala. When searching the internet I realized the flea doesn't seem to have an official website or Facebook so I had to pick up tips and info from folks' blogs and comments. Good thing — I found out it is only on Tuesdays and shuts down in the summer."

December 8, 2011 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Puzzle Rug

Yhst-83532116742892_2187_552809674

42" x 66".

Yhst-83532116742892_2187_552638620

$195.

[via Pembe Ruj]

December 8, 2011 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

my.microbes — Where people go to share info about their G.I. bacteria

Mic3

True.

Mic1

From the December 2011 issue of Wired: "Hey, Facebook, the European Molecular Biology Laboratory is gunning for you! Its my.microbes.eu site links users who share info about their gastrointestinal bacteria, enabling them to swap tales of digestion gone wrong. Membership: $2,000 and the willingness to use a stool-sample kit."

Mic2

Apply within.

December 8, 2011 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Calendar Postcard

Calpostcard2

"By using the provided magnetic ring you can instantly affix the card to your fridge, filing cabinet or any other [ferrous] metal surface while at the same time highlighting today's date."

Postcardcalen

$5 CAD (Desk and Stationary).

December 8, 2011 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Candy Sprinkles Art — Patience Required

From LikeCool: "Artist Joel Brochu created this piece using 221,184 nonpareil sprinkles painstakingly placed using jewelers' tweezers, adhering the sprinkles to a board with the help of double-sided tape and a thin layer of glue."

It's a photorealistic representation of Shingo Uchiyama's photo of a beagle (below).

"Only six colors of sprinkles — red, orange, green, blue, black, and white — were used."

The piece took 8 months to complete; it was such a long process that Brochu almost gave up. He said, "Halfway through, I was ready to abandon the project entirely. Looking at what remained to be done was daunting, but, at the same time I was dying to see the finished piece. I couldn't stop. I had to finish it. I wouldn't let myself give up no matter how much I wanted to."

The finished piece is 48 inches wide and 18 inches high.

[via CraftzineShareSomeCandy, Quipsologies and My Modern Metropolis]

December 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Money to Burn Candle

Moneycandle

$15 CAD (Home Accessories).

Wait a sec... what's that music I'm hearing?

December 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Most mind-bending graphic of the year

06HOLES_cnd-articleLarge

It's above.

The caption: "An illustration of a black hole the size of nearly 10 billion Suns. Inside it, where gravity is so intense that not even light can escape, our solar system is shown to scale."

The illustration by Pete Marenfeld of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory accompanied Dennis Overbye's article in Tuesday's New York Times about the discovery of two monster black holes, the most massive ever measured, the larger of the two weighing as much as 21 billion Suns.

Actually, the illustration markedly understates just how huge these stupendous structures are.

Overbye wrote that they are "abyssal yawns 10 times the size of our solar system."

The graphic shows one 10 times the diameter of our solar system but since the black hole is circular — or possibly spherical, or even other-dimensioned in a way we cannot even imagine — the black hole actually might be 75 (area of a circle = πr2) or 500 times (volume of a sphere = 4/3 πr3) the size of our solar system, itself unfathomable in scope by Earthly measures.

As Shakespeare wrote in "Hamlet": "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

December 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in?

CG0952