« January 2, 2012 | Main | January 4, 2012 »

January 3, 2012

Exploded Flowers — Fong Qi Wei

Lotus

From DeMilked: "Inspired by Todd McLellan's Disassembly series, Singaporean photographer Fong Qi Wei went deeper than just taking photos of flowers and created an amazing series of Exploded Flowers — images that show the radial symmetry of flowers."

Above, Lotus.

Sunflower:

Sunflower

Dahlia:

Dahlia

Rose:

Rose

Chrysanthemum:

Chrysanthemum

Qi Wei explains: "The act of disassembly (I hesitate to use the term dissection because this series is not meant to be a scientific treatise) lays bare the various shapes and textures of the flowers, and what is interesting to me is how much more expanded some flowers can get when they are disassembled — the relative surface area to size of a rose is so much greater compared to a larger flower like the sunflower. Also, as a medium that captures a moment in time —which was made clear when I noticed dried gerbera petals after only a single night — the use of photography captures the beauty and intricacies of nature’s flowers in the moment of full bloom, and at the same time let you have a different appreciation of their beauty."

January 3, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Ear Earbuds — "Talk to the ear"

Solid-alliance-crazy-earphones-2

Well alright.

$53.

Pair these with the EarHat (below)

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0162fd958a32970d-800wi

featured on December 9 of last year and you'll be the talk of the town.

January 3, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Moving to 2012

Bizarro2012pic

Nothing has changed but the frame.

But we agree on the frame in order to get along in the world.

To this end, every check you sign going forward will be dated 2012.

At least, until 2013.

But I digress.

To make your life a wee bit easier and enable you to avoid writing "2011" when you write a check and then gnashing your teeth and having to cross out the final "1" and write "2" instead, get up RIGHT NOW — yes, this very minute — and go get your checkbook and put "2012" in the date area of every check in it.

By the time you finish the book you're using, you'll have psychologically switched years and Bob's your uncle.

Nobody ever told me to do this: it just took many years of writing down the wrong year and then fixing it before one day the penny dropped.

Bonus: Pretend you thought up this nifty trick and tell your friends: they'll think you're even more clever than they do already.

January 3, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Swiss Army Presentation Master Flight

F

Bladeless, it should pass muster at airport security.

Features:

• Integrated Bluetooth remote-control capability for PC/notebook

• Removable fingerprint-encrypted 8GB USB thumb drive

• Pressurized ballpoint pen

• Laser pointer

• Scissors

• Nail file

$164.

January 3, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

twtrland — Got vowels?

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 2.38.00 PM

Who knew this site existed?

I sure didn't until about this time yesterday when I suddenly arrived there while visiting some other site.

Turns out you don't have to register or sign up or anything: anyone with a Twitter account is automatically grist for their algorithmic mill.

Above and below, screenshots from my profile.

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 1.30.12 PM

Check yourself out, then all your friends.

Fair warning: There goes the day.

[via Tara Pham]

January 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Goldfinger's favorite condiment

Edible golden food varnish.

Dd380e50d49fba9864ac1e803cac42bd_5

Also available: Silver, Red and Blue.

Harmless and tasteless.

100ml spray: €24.80.

[via Jay Mug]

January 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"The Thing" — G.K. Chesterton

Chesterton

The following excerpt from his 1929 book was published in this past weekend's Wall Street Journal:

There exists … a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, "I don't see the use of this; let us clear it away." To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: "If you don't see the use of it, I certainly won't let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it."...

Some person had some reason for thinking [the gate or fence] would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable … The truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served.

But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion … This principle applies to a thousand things, to trifles as well as true institutions, to convention as well as to conviction.

Read the book in its entirety here.

Free, the way we like it.

Am I the only person who's noted that Chesterton (pictured up top) seems to be undergoing a revival of sorts, being cited and quoted more and more often?

I am the only person?

Oh.

January 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Replacement furniture legs — Original equipment (only better)

41SVvNEdrfL._SL500_AA300_

It took my Crack Research Team®™© (CRT) days of searching for these until they finally stumbled on them in the back alleys of Amazon, made by a company called, aptly enough, "Leg Daddy."

Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 7.53.12 PM

The back story: I bought furniture decades ago, a very comfortable leather chair and ottoman being among the pieces.

At some point I noticed that the top of ottoman was a couple inches higher than the top of the chair cushion.

Investigation revealed that both chair and ottoman were supported on legs nearly identical in color, material, and size to those pictured above.

They screwed into the wooden corners.

I removed all four legs from the ottoman and lo and behold, it was perfect that way, much more comfortable for me in my preferred reading position.

I put the four legs in a ziplock bag and placed the bag in a small  closet next to the study/office where the chair and ottoman were located.

Many years passed.

And there things remained until last week, when I decided to move the ottoman down to the basement, which I'm slowly converting into a kind of clubhouse for me and Gray Cat.

There's all kinds of stuff down there, nooks and crannies and places to climb and hide and all, cat heaven.

All well and good, but the floor down there is concrete, not wood, and leather and wood rubbing on concrete does not strike me as the best combination, not to mention the fact that every 10 years or so a little water gets into the basement: no way does water mix well with leather and wood.

So it seemed like a good time to get out the four legs I'd removed long ago and screw them back in.

Except that the bag and its contents were not where I remembered putting them.

Not that I actually remembered putting them in the closet, but I think that's what I would've done.

I turned the house upside down without finding my quarry, and then turned the search over to my CRT.

As related up top, they succeeded in locating replacements that appear better than the originals, in that the new ones (pictured) have non-slip rubber bottoms, unlike the solid plastic surface that renders the originals prone to unwanted movement.

Two for $13.95.