« Steamballers of Rego Park | Home | Derek Kinzett – Wire Sculptures »

March 7, 2012

Diet A&W Root Beer — Almost indistinguishable from the real deal

A__W_Root_Diet

Above, my new favorite soda.

I'm not sure if I could tell it apart from the non-diet version, it's that good.

Bonus: no caffeine so I can drink it right up to bedtime.

March 7, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Diet A&W Root Beer — Almost indistinguishable from the real deal:

Comments

Way, way back in the late adolescence of this poster I put in a brief stint at an A&W operation. Making Rootbeer was one of my jobs. As best as I can recall the process entailed adding 40lbs of sugar ( four ten pound bags) to twenty gallons of tap water in a stainless steel tank and stirring the combination with a stainless steel paddle until the sugar went into solution. Then two gallons of Rootbeer concentrate were added, mixed thoroughly, and the resulting Rootbeer was decanted into ten gallon tanks that were pressurized with CO2 and connected to the soda fountain system. This process was performed daily and frequently twice daily on "Coney Tuesdays" (a college job that caused this native New Yorker no end of consternation where the hotdogs sold on Coney Island were served with mustard and sauerkraut - not chili, onions, and grated cheese!).

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Mar 8, 2012 2:33:19 PM

Is that the new 10-calorie that I understand is being test marketed?

Posted by: John A | Mar 8, 2012 2:56:08 AM

They musta really improved it because way back it was bleeah.

Posted by: Flautist | Mar 8, 2012 12:34:07 AM

My personal favorite root beer is Virgil's. Haven't found anything better yet.

Want something diet?

Hansen's Diet Ginger Ale. Plus? Comes in a can (Virgil's is bottled).

What's not to like?

Posted by: Nathan | Mar 8, 2012 12:18:24 AM

geez joe – you got me started on diet cherry coke and then diet vanilla coke and now this – diet a\w root beer – if you cannt make your mind im going back to coffee

Posted by: sherlock | Mar 8, 2012 12:01:19 AM

Ew, Joe! At the risk of sounding like a purist, what is it, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin or the new hot one, Stevia? Remember cyclamates? Caveat Emptor. Better real sugar in moderation don'tcha think?

Posted by: tamra | Mar 7, 2012 7:23:54 PM