« April 23, 2012 | Main | April 25, 2012 »

April 24, 2012

Gray Cat meets Delirium Tremens (the beer)

I happened on this oddly named brew the other day at Foods of All Nations.

Worth taking a flyer as long as it was in the singles section.

Just now I was gobsmacked to read in the beer's Wikipedia entry that "Delirium Tremens was named as 'Best Beer in the World' in 2008 at the World Beer Championships in Chicago, Illinois. Stuart Kallen gives it the number one spot in his [book] "The 50 Greatest Beers in the World."

Better pay attention tonight when I open it.

Yo Jeri Dansky: I haven't forgotten that picture of me head-butting Gray Cat — stay tuned.

April 24, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Finger Food Picks

819Iih4o8zL._SL1500_

Literally.

71JYpom3RDL._SL1500_

Set of 12 different colors: $10.

71sTCIYTzPL._SL1500_

[via CSYCB]

April 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

K-PAX (the book) — by Gene Brewer

Kpax

I'd guess far more people have seen the wonderful 2001 movie starring Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges than have read Brewer's 1995 novel.

Much as I enjoyed the film (a lot), the book is proving much, much better.

Read the first nine pages here.

The added depth of prot (rhymes with "goat"; the protagonist, a visitor from planet K-Pax) provided by the story in word form makes his character far more compelling.

Too bad the book is only 226 pages long: I'm trying to go really slowly, reading only at bedtime and rarely for more than five pages before the book falls from my hands to the floor, waking up both me and Gray Cat and signaling it's time for lights out.

FunFact: KPAX is a news station in Missoula, Montana.

April 24, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Rubber Band-Shooting Ruler

BANDIT-Rubber-Band-Shooting-Ruler

Where was this when I needed it?

47-183-thickbox

A 2008 design by Sebastian Bergne.

47-181-thickbox

Acrylic.

£18.

[via CSYCB]

April 24, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Is Bill Fischer the most expensive travel agent in the U.S.?

Fischer_lg

From a story in the April 22 New York Times Travel section: "Bill Fischer [above, with his daughter and partner Stacy Fischer-Rosenthal], the New York travel agent with a famously unlisted phone number, charges a $100,000 membership fee for his services and a $25,000 annual retainer."

Back in 1998 when he was just getting started his initiation fee was only $10,000 and it was still $10,000 (plus a $5,000 annual retainer) in late 2003, at which time he had "500-some clients."

Huh.

I guess he got too much business at those rates, hence the bump up to present levels.

I wonder what I could charge for anesthesia advice and counsel?

For years I've been giving it away free to all and sundry.

Maybe it's time to straighten up and fly right in a private jet.

Bueller?

clifyt?

Flautist?

Anyone?

April 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Tool Dots

Tool-dots

"Tiny super-strong magnets will stick to any surface and hold even the heaviest of your tools (just keep adding more magnets)."

100 3/4-inch-diameter magnetic dots with adhesive backing: $6.35.

[via CSYCB]

April 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Difficult People

Cover of the new issue of Psychology Today.

Creative direction by Edward Levine.

Photography director: Claudia Stefezius.

[via Coverjunkie]

April 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Math nerd T-shirt

PS_0394_REAL_RATIONAL

Q. What did pi say to i?

A. Get real.

Q. What was i's response?

A. Be rational.

Well, I thought it was funny.

April 24, 2012 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack