« April 28, 2012 | Main | April 30, 2012 »

April 29, 2012

This Is My Home

Wrote reader Jerry Young, "If I ever end up being a tourist in New York, this would probably be number one on my list of things to see and do — to meet this man and maybe take something he might be willing to add to his home."

Wrote Mark on Vimeo, "On an unseasonably warm November night in Manhattan on our way to get ice cream, we stumbled upon what appeared to be a vintage shop, brightly lit display window and all. As we began to walk in, a man sitting out front warned us that we were welcome to explore, but nothing inside was for sale. Our interests piqued, we began to browse through the collections the man out front had built throughout his life. This is a story of a man and his home."

April 29, 2012 at 05:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

What are they?

Answer here this time tomorrow.

April 29, 2012 at 03:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

How an artist sees the world

Wendy-McNaughton-25

Above, detail from San Francisco-based Wendy MacNaughton's studio.

I've never seen that dichotomy before, and I like it.

April 29, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Letter opener x ruler

Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 5.35.01 PM

Wrote Katie Hagar in a Better Living Through Design post, "Combine a letter opener with a ruler? Sure, why not? Made from brass-plated alloy, one side has centimeter metrics [up to 15 centimeters] with the slogan, 'Follow the rules.' The other side has inch metrics [up to six inches] with the slogan, 'Break the rules.' Actually, it looks like that's opposite from the image shown, so be prepared for a flip flop of slogans. [Nice pickup, Katie.] Regardless, it's always nice to see one tool with multiple functions."

Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 5.38.24 PM

Concur.

Though it's sometimes nice to encounter a perfect tool with just one function.

But I digress.

Brass-plated alloy, with a hole to hang it by.

9.5" long.

$20.

April 29, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Would you use this bathroom?

PPDG-Penthouse-17-1-800x1200

The glass floor of this powder room sits atop an unused 15-story-high shaft, originally intended for an elevator.

PPDG-Penthouse-17-800x533

It's part of the interior of a penthouse "located on the 15th floor of an old building built in the 70s Mexican colonial style."

The penthouse was designed by Guadalajara-based studio Hernandez Silva Arquitectos.

Wait a sec... what's that music I'm hearing?

[via Kay (Leah) and HomeDSGN]

April 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Titanic Lamp

Titanic-lamp

Designed by Charles Trevelyan, one of the principals of London-based Viable.

Wrote Kris Bernard and Katie Hagar in an October 2, 2007 Better Living Through Design post, "If one could ever be smitten with a lamp, then [we are] with the Titanic Lamp."

Kris, in response to the question, "What's your all time favorite thing/item (that you own)?": "I love my Titanic Lamp."

Lacquered wood base; cotton & steel shade.

13"H x 18.5"W x 18"D.

Titanic-lamp-design-by-Charles-Trevelyan

Apply within.

April 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

The Forgotten Dialect of the Heart — by Jack Gilbert

Screen Shot 2012-04-28 at 3.55.17 PM

Gilbert's "Collected Poems" has just been published by Knopf.

April 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

(Extremely) Limited-Edition Toothbrush Holders

Toothbrush_holders_1_by_warren_matten-d3d1qqv

Edition of one (1), custom designed by South Africa-based Warren Matten who noted, "Hand carved in wax; mould made; then clear resin cast."

He added, "Yes the 'male' is slightly taller, and the 'female' has slightly softer edges.... Also, the upper (and lower) surfaces are perfectly flat and polished, while the rest keeps the texture of the hand formed original which plays with light a bit and is meant to keep a feel of uniqueness against the rather straight and geometric general form. Would perfectly machined be better?"

His comment yesterday on the auto-retracting utility knife post really made me think, always a big up in my book.

I had my Crack Research Team®™© drill down to see what they could bring back about Matten and they came up with the pieces pictured up top.

Who knows, if you ask him and mention I sent you, maybe he'll made another super-limited-edition just for you.

Apply to: warrenmatten@gmail.com.