« iFoolish magic drawing case for iPhone | Home | OMG Sticky Notes »

April 17, 2012

Rorschach lives: Is that a bear attack or we having a picnic?

SCAN0043

The ad pictured above occupied 30% of page 15 of the front section of yesterday's Wall Street Journal.

Am I the only person who looked at it and saw a reddish-brown bear attacking a smiling woman?

I am?

Hard to believe.

Dr. Rorschach, call your office: your color prints have arrived.

April 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Rorschach lives: Is that a bear attack or we having a picnic?:

Comments

I had to look at this hard for a minute or so until I realized it was supposed to be some sort of blanket she was putting down for her picnic. But yeah, when I first looked at it, bear with his snout where it wasn't supposed to be.

Posted by: Becs | Apr 18, 2012 5:44:03 AM

You're clearly all wrong. Her picnic obviously consists of nothing but a sack of potatoes.

Posted by: Graeme | Apr 18, 2012 12:18:37 AM

I see an ENORMOUS lobster claw holding hands with the woman.

Posted by: Amy R | Apr 17, 2012 9:38:06 PM

Tam, actually there is no such thing as an iPad 3: Apple calls its latest tablet iteration "the new iPad." iKnow, iKnow....

Posted by: bookofjoe | Apr 17, 2012 3:31:47 PM

Ohhhh. NOW I see the bear!

Posted by: Kay | Apr 17, 2012 2:22:10 PM

You must have an iPad 3.

Posted by: tamra | Apr 17, 2012 1:46:25 PM

I saw a bear instantly, wondered about the confusing ad layout - and then I read your text.

I think they did this on purpose, the idea being that : anything that forces you to linger over the ad for a few more seconds means you'll remember it, and them - nothing else matters.

Posted by: Fred | Apr 17, 2012 1:30:31 PM

I see a red pillow with horns. Can not see the dog nor the bear. But then, I could never see the image in those dot/pixel posters either.

Posted by: Kay | Apr 17, 2012 1:25:22 PM

I thought the bear was sniffing her *************.

Posted by: Bruce | Apr 17, 2012 12:20:19 PM

I'm of the thought that the "blanket" is merely a subliminal attacker designed to scare the feces out of us and cause us to purchase life insurance.

At least this is somewhat better than the Suze Orman life insurance television ad.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Apr 17, 2012 11:58:35 AM

Of great interest to me is that one viewer saw the reddish-brown area as possibly being a patch of dirt — not a picnic blanket the woman is tossing out to spread on the grass.

The ambiguous nature of this ad makes overt something taken for granted as a rule, namely that everyday reality is a consensus rather than a fact of life, and as such is subject to change on a dime.

Posted by: bookofjoe | Apr 17, 2012 11:15:12 AM

I thought obese dog, but you are not the only one...

Posted by: Nathan | Apr 17, 2012 11:12:14 AM