« May 23, 2012 | Main | May 25, 2012 »

May 24, 2012

"The Dawn of Egyptian Art"

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.33.45 PM

Roberta Smith, in a rave April 13 New York Times review, wrote that this show, which runs through August 5 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, is a "sublime, view-shifting exhibition...

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.33.36 PM

dominated foremost by small, startlingly personable sculptures and vessels from around 3900 to 2649 B.C. The show's around 190 objects include animal sculptures and figures carved in wood, ivory and stone or modeled in clay."

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.33.12 PM

When I saw the pictures above and below accompanying the review, I was struck by the beauty of the objects even in two dimensions.

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.33.23 PM

Annotated slide show here.

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 9.33.02 PM

If you're in Gotham over the summer, you could do worse than take an hour out of the day and walk through.

May 24, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Curly Serpent Pool Float

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.38.23 AM

Heavy-duty vinyl.

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.38.27 AM

8 feet long.

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.38.35 AM

$46.

May 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

How do you contact Mark Zuckerberg?

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 5.50.12 PM

The question came up here last month after I reposted an Instagram photo of Mr. Zuckerberg's dog, Beast (below).

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0168ea029589970c-800wi

I always try to let people whom I've featured or acknowledged know that that's the case, more often than not with success.

I first tried a Google search for "Mark Zuckerberg email" but when that came up empty tried "How contact Mark Zuckerberg" and got the Answer.com page pictured up top.

I followed the advice therein and sure enough, there's a "Send Message" box on his Facebook page.

Pretty impressive and accessible, considering.

It was said that you could email Steve Jobs directly at sjobs@apple.com.

In fact, his card is still in my address book (below)

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 6.05.52 PM

and there it will remain as long as my address book exists.

I never did get a reply to perhaps a dozen or so emails I sent him over the years but I'm OK with that.

May 24, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

CordLite Illuminated Charger Cable for iPhone

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 12.28.10 PM

A Kickstarter project.

2012cordlite-500x279

Wrote David Ponce on OhGizmo!, "Plugging your iPhone in for the night with no lights on in the room is easier said than done. And since a nightlight is not always an option, the CordLite presents a solution to one of life's tiny annoyances. It's a touch-sensitive charging cord for the iPhone with LEDs at the tip. When the cord is just lying around, nothing happens; it's only once you pick it up that the circuit is activated and the light shines. The touch feature is conduction-based, meaning you don't have to squeeze — you just have to hold it."

CoiledSM

$30 gets you one — assuming the designers achieve their funding goal.

CLcolors

They're about 50% of the way there at the moment.

I'm in.

[via LikeCool]

May 24, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Experts' Expert: How to skin a pea

6a00d8341c5dea53ef016765b7da0b970b-800wi

What, you leave the skins on?

I guess it takes all kinds.

But I digress.

Last week's post on how to tell if peas are fresh or not marked the first in a series of three posts focusing on peas.

Wrote Elaine Sciolino in an April 25, 2012 New York Times Dining section story focusing on the French love of peas (Jean-Andre Charial, owner of L'Oustau de Baumanière, a Michelin two-star restaurant at the foot of the medieval hill town of Les Baux in Provence, told her, "Petits pois are emblematic of France. They announce the coming of the sun, the spring. You can be served caviar anywhere. New York, Hong Kong, London. For me, petits pois are my caviar."), "Back in Paris, I was ready for a lesson in advanced pea preparation. I headed to Guy Savoy, the Michelin three-star restaurant near the Arc de Triomphe, where the executive chef Laurent Soliveres was puréeing, skinning, juicing, and boiling peas in the kitchen."

"He plunged peas briefly into boiling salted water and then into a bowl of ice water to cook them al dente and keep their color bright green. He showed me how to skin a pea by pressing down gently on each and rolling it between my fingers."

Practice makes perfect.

May 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"Hello my name is" napkins

Base-grande

Twenty 3-ply napkins,

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 6.15.18 PM

13" x 13" (6.5" x 6.5" folded).

Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 6.15.27 PM

€5.95.

May 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"The Universe and Forever" — Wendy MacNaughton

Theuniverse

Ink and watercolor on paper by the sui generis San Francisco-based artist.

Limited-edition (500) 11" x 14" print: $60.

May 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Limited-Edition Fruit Template

Store_dtl14_2b

"A fruit bowl that looks like an indented surface, not a three-dimensional object. The idea is to fill its holes with fruit, rather than pile fruit in the center."

Store_dtl14_1b

Production limited to 100 pieces.

Store_dtl14_3b

30.5cm W x 24cm H x 6.5cm D.

White or Black steel.