« June 7, 2012 | Main | June 9, 2012 »

June 8, 2012

KelpCam

Zfdghfhf

You've heard of watching paint dry?

Here's the aqautic equivalent, located at the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla, California, part of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego.

"Explore an amazing diversity of fish and invertebrates that make their home within the kelp forest, a crucial ocean ecosystem. Our High Definition Kelp Cam lets you take a dive without getting wet. Discover leopard sharks, garibaldi, eels, barracuda, giant sea bass, and more within our two-story, 70,000-gallon tank."

"Tune in during our weekly dive shows: 12:30 p.m. (Pacific Time) on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10:30 a.m. on Sundays."

Steve Zissou, call your office.

[via Joe Peach, who knows algae from an algorithm]

June 8, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

399-Button Remote

Pultius

From the New York Times: "Art. Lebedev Studio in Russia created the concept of a 20-inch-long remote with 399 buttons, one for each channel. It didn't fly."

I don't see why not: my Pioneer TV remote has 49 buttons and those are just the ones that are visible — there are 18 more under a flip-up panel.

My DirecTV remote has 46 buttons and my Comcast remote has 53.

Add 'em up, that's a total of 49 + 18 + 46 + 53 = 166, almost halfway to the über-remote pictured up top.

June 8, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

"Charlottesville is the smartest city in America"

Smartest_metros-map-zara

If that's the case, trickle-down theory hasn't yet applied to yours truly, still standing at the station waiting for the cluetrain that came through some time ago.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0176152b0d98970c-800wi

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 11.46.39 AM

From yesterday's Charlottesville Daily Progress: "Charlottesville is the smartest city in America, according to a Wednesday news release from a California-based company that offers an online brain training program."

"Charlottesville topped a list of 25 metropolitan areas in new rankings released by Lumosity."

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 12.08.07 PM

More on the rankings here.

June 8, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

World Map Cap

Supreme_world_map_5_panel_cap_hat_spring_summer_2012_905

In the Spring/Summer 2012 collection of Supreme New York.

Supreme-world-map-5panel-cap-1

[via Highsnobiety]

June 8, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Scythe Supply

Located in Perry, Maine, Scythe Supply sells European scythe blades, snaths, stones, and accessories.

[via Alan Fick]

June 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Porcelain egg cup

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 8.40.42 PM

Designed by Suzanne Trocmé for British Bone.

[via the New York Times]

June 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Wordnik — "I always feel lucky"

Screen Shot 2012-05-30 at 7.08.33 PM

Say what?

More?

Here's a TED talk by Erin McKean, co-founder of Wordnik.

Want to waste even more time?

No problema: your wish is my demand.

Or something.

But I digress.

Have a look at Ms. McKean's blog, Dictionary Evangelist.

[via Michael White]

June 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

AudioQuest NRG WEL Signature Series Power Cable

41ahz3Im+2L

Via reader Rob Miller who wrote:

Hello joe!

My TV was working fine but I had an extra $7,000 just sitting in my savings account and I was thinking what can I buy... a new power cord for my TV!! Not just any power cord — a sterling silver one!! I was wondering what your Amazon name was so you can get commission. Thanks!

Rob

(Do you think anyone has ever really bought this?? $7,000 for a power cord!!).

I responded as follows: "This is going up on boj: excellent!"

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 5.50.35 PM

Rob replied: "Haha I was hoping you would see that. I can't believe that company actually ordered 10. A power cord!! Un real."

41vXaLvNdiL

A snip at $6,899.75

Full disclosure: My commission (6% today): $413.99.

June 8, 2012 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack